Known for their unique appearance, schnauzers are a favored breed amongst many. It is important to ensure that you feed your dog the best food that contains all of the ingredients and nutrients that they need for a healthy body and wellbeing.
Finding the best food can sometimes be a little challenging, particularly if you have a fussy dog to cater to. However, we have browsed the market, selecting our top five picks of the best dog food for schnauzers. We have also included a buyer’s guide below with some helpful tips for choosing the best food and ensuring that it is right for your dog.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top pick for you below.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
Nature's Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe, 30 Pounds
- Contains (1) 30 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real lamb is the #1 ingredient
- Easy-to-digest recipe, with nutrient-dense, healthy sweet potatoes and pumpkins
- No corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal or artificial flavors and preservatives
- Natural dog food with added vitamins, minerals and nutrients
Best Dog Food for Schnauzers – Comparison Table
Nature's Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe, 30 Pounds
Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Breed Specific Dry Dog Food, 10 lb. bag
Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Puppy, Small Paws for Small Breeds, Chicken Meal, Barley & Brown...
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food, Turkey & Oatmeal, 12-Pound Bag
Holistic Select Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Adult & Puppy Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine Recipe,...
Best Dog Food for Schnauzers – Reviews
A firm favorite amongst many pet owners is the Nature’s Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food. This is a protein-rich dry dog food that is lamb meal and rice flavor although there is the chicken meal and rice flavor available too. There isn’t any corn, wheat, soy, by-product meat, artificial colors, or flavors in this food so it isn’t likely to interfere with their well being or digestion. It’s also praised for being a perfect choice for fussy schnauzers.
Each of these ingredients works together to deliver a healthy meal to your pets. The lamb protein works to maintain optimal muscle strength while the fiber from the rice supports healthy digestion. The calcium and phorus support your dog’s strong bones and teeth and the taurine works to support a healthy diet. However, this isn’t all, the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids support healthy skin while promoting a shinier coat. As a natural dog food with lots of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients it works to promote the improved overall well being of your pet.
This dog food is suitable for adult dogs and comes in three different size options; a 4.5lb bag, a 15 lb bag, and a 30 lb bag, so you can choose the best size option to cater to the eating habits of your schnauzer.
- There are two flavor options available so if your Schnauzer doesn’t like the lamb and rice flavor there is an alternative option.
- Nature’s recipe is a pet brand that has been established for many years and is known for producing nutritional dog food.
- This food doesn’t contain wheat which can be a sensitive ingredient for many dogs.
- Due to the limited ingredients, this is a good choice for those who have fussy schnauzers to cater too.
- Containing several beneficial ingredients, this food delivers many health benefits for your pet.
- This food may have adverse effects on some dog’s resulting in issues with excessive toileting.
Specifically created for miniature schnauzers, the Royal Canin dog food is intended for dogs aged 10 months and above and is packed with all of the ingredients that are needed to meet their nutritional needs. As smaller sized kibble, it is an ideal choice for this smaller dog breed that may experience issues when chewing larger sized dog food. This breed-specific diet food contains all of the essential nutrients and ingredients that are needed to help them thrive whilst also promoting improved overall health and wellbeing.
Many schnauzers are prone to suffering from sensitive skin issues. The essential ingredients found in the contents of this food reinforce the skin’s barrier providing greater protection to their skin. Filled with specific amounts of amino acids, this food works to maintain and support your dog’s vibrant coat, helping to ensure that it looks healthy at all times. The formulation of this food promotes healthy weight control and the guide found at the back of the food provides a clear indication in regards to the amount that your dog should be eating.
Available in a 2.5 lb bag and a 10 lb bag there is a choice available when it comes to making the best purchase for your pet. The kibble is smaller so it is likely to be easier for your dog to digest.
- Due to the ingredients, this food is a good choice for schnauzers who have sensitive stomachs.
- This is a breed-specific food that has been created for miniature schnauzers in particular.
- The amino acids work to promote a healthier and more vibrant coat.
- If your schnauzer enjoys eating a little too much, this food helps with weight control.
- As smaller sized kibble, it has been specifically formulated to meet their eating needs.
- This is a slightly more expensive option which may not be feasible for some pet owners.
The Hill’s science diet dry dog food has been designed specifically with puppies in mind, however, it is suitable for most small breeds of dogs too. This food option contains several beneficial ingredients for your pet, the key ingredients being chicken meal, barley, and brown rice. With high-quality protein content, this food helps to build lean muscle.
The DHA content which originally comes from fish oil helps to support healthy eye and brain development while the blend of antioxidants provides lifelong immune support. Thanks to the mineral content, this food works to promote the development of strong bones and teeth. Impressively, the nutritional content also works to support a healthier coat and skin.
Conveniently, this dog food is available in two different sizes. The first being 4.5 lbs and the other being 15.5 lbs and as the kibble is extra small, it specifically caters to the chewing capabilities of these puppy/ smaller breeds of dogs.
- This food contains chicken meal which is a dog safe and nutritional ingredient.
- Made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your dog’s food.
- This food has been veterinarian recommended so you can trust that the ingredients are suitable for your pet.
- Clinically proven antioxidants promote lifelong immune support, helping to ensure that your schnauzer can live a healthy life.
- As extra small-sized kibble, it is the perfect option for smaller dogs who would struggle when eating large-sized food.
- If you opt for the smaller size, this bag is particularly small making it a rather costly purchase for you.
The Wellness Complete health dry dog food combines some valuable ingredients to ensure that your small dog has all of the nutrients that it needs to thrive. This food has a deboned turkey and oatmeal recipe and doesn’t include any artificial preservatives or fillers.
This food is made with a variety of impressive ingredients. The antioxidants are delivered through the blueberry contents which support a healthy immune system. The omega-rich flaxseed helps to keep your dog’s coat in a shiny and vibrant condition and the spinach is rich in antioxidants that support immunity. If this wasn’t impressive enough, this food also contains protein and nutrients which promotes optimal energy in your pet. The glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine each work together to ensure that your schnauzer’s heart is healthy.
There are two size options available, a 4ib bag or a 12ib bag and as this food has been created for small breeds specifically, the kibble is small enough for them to enjoy eating without any struggles.
- As this dog food has been made in the USA you can be confident where your dog’s food has been made.
- The balance of nutritional ingredients ensures that your pet is always in optimal health and full of energy.
- Impressively, this dog food doesn’t contain artificial ingredients with one of the main ingredients being turkey which provides protein.
- The small-sized kibble suits the jaw shape and size of smaller dogs.
- The vitamin and mineral contents work to create healthier skin and coat.
- This dog food contains gluten which can be a sensitive ingredient for many dogs.
Suitable for adults and puppies, the Holistic Select Natural Dry dog food contains a range of ingredients that work to promote your dog’s overall health. The main ingredients inside this food are salmon, anchovy, and sardine and as natural dog food, it is going to bring them many health benefits.
The protein, prebiotics, probiotics, live yogurt cultures, digestive enzymes, and natural fiber each work in their own way to help enhance your dog’s digestive system. The pre and probiotics stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria, the yogurt increases the variety of good bacteria in your dog’s gut for improved digestion and the digestive enzymes help to break down the food so that it moves through your dog’s gut more effectively. The omega 3 fatty acids found in the salmon oil and flaxseed promote healthy skin and coat, while the taurin, fatty acids, and antioxidants work to promote a healthy heart.
Impressively, there are three different sized bags available 4ib being the smallest, 12ib providing a middle option and 24ib being the largest. This provides a choice in the option that you choose so you can effectively cater to the needs of your dog.
- This food has been made in the USA so you can be confident in the source of your purchase.
- The food has been created by nutritionists, veterinarians, and animal lovers and contains a combination of ingredients they require for their wellbeing and will enjoy too.
- With a variety in the sizes of bags available, you can choose the best option that caters to the needs of your pet.
- Thanks to the range of natural ingredients, the food works to promote the overall health of your schnauzer.
- The contents of this food promote a healthier dog with an improvement in the condition of their skin and coat.
- This dog food retails at quite a high price making it an unsuitable choice for pet owners on lower budgets.
When it comes to buying food for your schnauzer it is crucial to ensure that you pay close attention to several factors. Otherwise, you may end up purchasing food that they dislike, or for dogs with allergies who can’t have food with particular ingredients, this may leave them with problems or adverse reactions.
We have listed some criteria below that we would recommend you considering before making your purchase.
Of course, it is crucial to ensure that you are fully aware of the contents of your dog’s food. Many schnauzers suffer from digestive problems that are caused by food sensitivities or allergies. Before buying your dog’s food, ensure that you are aware of any allergies beforehand. Schnauzers are known to suffer from certain health issues and there are particular ingredients inside their foods that can help to ease these issues. Natural food that doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives or flavors is a good choice as you can be more assured that your food contains ingredients that are good for them and are going to promote their overall body health.
Schnauzers are often known to be dogs that love eating, you give them a little bit of food, and then shortly after you are likely to find them waiting for more. Some dog foods come with weight controlling ingredients which ensure that your dog is eating the correct amount and isn’t overeating. Most dog foods will also have an illustrated feeding guide on the back which advises you on the correct amount of food that you should be feeding your schnauzer according to their size and weight.
The Size of the kibble
Most foods that are recommended for schnauzers have been specifically created with smaller dogs in mind and this applies to the size of the kibble too. Smaller in size, the kibble specifically caters to the size and shape of your dog’s jaw so they can eat without overstretching or damaging their jaw. When faced with larger sized kibble, a small dog like a schnauzer, particularly a miniature or a puppy is likely to struggle with chewing this food.
The Size of the bag
The size of the bag is another important consideration as some will be significantly smaller than others. Not all pet owners can splash out on the largest sized bag which sometimes means opting for the middle alternative or the smaller option. However, the size of the bag can sometimes be a little disappointing. It is important to ensure that you select the correct sized bag that is going to cater to the needs of the dog. Consider the size of the kibble and how often your dog requires feeding.
Common health issues in schnauzers to be aware of
You may be unaware of this but there are many health issues that some schnauzers are prone to suffering from and their diet can significantly influence these issues, with some ingredients possibly worsening them and others helping to ease them. Some of these issues include eye conditions such as retinal dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia, bladder stones, pancreatitis (digestive problems), skin issues and allergies and obesity. Adapting your dog’s diet to help with any of these issues may help your dog to live an improved and healthier life. However, it is crucial to consult your vet before putting your schnauzer onto a specific diet, if you do have any concerns in regards to your pet’s health they will be able to offer the best options to help with easing these concerns.
Whilst we all enjoy spoiling our pets, spending a large proportion of money every time they require a new lot of food simply isn’t doable for many pet owners. Of course, it is crucial to ensure that you select the food that is packed with healthy nutrients and ingredients, and by opting for cheaper food you shouldn’t compromise on that. However, there are some options available that retail at slightly lower prices than others. We have included a range in our guide above each retailing at varying prices to highlight the choice that is available to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What foods should you avoid feeding your schnauzer?
There are many foods that your schnauzers cannot eat. This includes chocolate, avocados, nuts, mushrooms, grapes, raisins, sweeteners, and fats. You should ensure that your dog doesn’t consume the following beverages too. This includes tea, coffee, and alcohol. Your schnauzer should be fed a healthy, nutritional diet.
How much should my schnauzer eat?
Several factors will influence the amount of food that your schnauzer eats. For example, their age, weight, and activity level. You should also consider the calorie content of the food that you choose. However, in general, it is recommended to feed your schnauzer around 2-3 cups of food a day. For a miniature schnauzer, they typically tend to eat half a cup of dry dog food roughly twice a day. Although this may be slightly more for younger dogs.
Should you feed your dog’s dry food?
Dry dog food is a good choice if your dog enjoys this type of food and is likely to eat it. This is because the texture of the food helps to scrape away the plaque from your dog’s teeth.