How to Make Your Dog Throw Up Safely – 5 Pro Tips

Spread the love

One of the most challenging situations you’ll experience with your dog is illness or injury. There’s a quick solution in some cases, which involves learning how to make your dog throw up and discard an item they may have swallowed or handle a possible poisoning case. This situation is not an easy task, as it may require quick action and the right know-how to induce vomiting, which can save your dog’s life.

If you’re considering taking your dog to the vet due to ingesting a poisonous substance, it’s essential to act fast. In some cases, you can attempt to help your pet at home, which is crucial in situations where there is a limited time frame before a substance or item causes damage to your pet’s health. The following five tips are essential in giving your dog the best chance of expelling a toxic item within a few minutes.

1. Keep Hydrogen Peroxide at Home

If you have an adventurous puppy or a dog who has ingested dangerous items before, it’s essential to have hydrogen peroxide at home. This solution contains three percent hydrogen peroxide and is one of the safest ways to induce dog vomiting quickly and effectively. While this substance isn’t pleasing the taste, only a tiny amount is required, about one teaspoon for every ten pounds of your dog’s body weight.

To administer the hydrogen peroxide, use an eyedropper to drop the solution in your dogs mouth. You may need to hold your pet firmly and calmly massage their throat until they open their mouth. This may take a few minutes if your dog is visibly uncomfortable and feeling pain during the process. While this experience is distressing, you’ll quickly remedy your pup’s health and life.

2. Call Your Veterinarian First

Unless you’re experienced with inducing your dog to throw up, it’s essential to contact your veterinarian and ask for assistance. Vet clinics often have emergency numbers to call 24/7 and quickly inquire about the next steps. If your veterinarian doesn’t have urgent care or a pet poison helpline or is unavailable, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately for help.

You may want to keep this contact information and your vet’s number available in an emergency for quick reference. Often, these cases occur without warning, and having a quick number to call for assistance can save your dog’s life.

3. Know When Inducing Your Dog to Vomit is Necessary

Not all poisonous substances require inducing vomit, which is critical to know before taking action. There are many items your dog can chew, eat, or swallow completely with mixed results. Some of the most common items include rat poison in a mousetrap, chocolate, antifreeze, and chemical sprays in your garden or on the lawn. While some items need to be expelled immediately, other toxins may not be as severe, such as tiny quantities of chocolate or foods that trigger a mild allergic reaction.

A local vet or animal poison control center can answer all your pet parent questions and concerns while providing step-by-step advice on proceeding with your pet’s situation. It’s critical to assess every incident to determine its severity and whether inducing vomit is beneficial or unnecessary.

4. Keep Dangerous Toxins Secured and Out of Reach

If you have food and other items considered toxic to dogs, it’s essential to keep these items locked away and secure. Your dog will likely avoid contact with these items if they are stored in a secure cabinet or where there are no pets. This practice is essential in homes with pest control treatment or other toxins that can interfere with your pet’s health and safety. Suppose you’re uncertain of the impact that specific treatments, plants, or sprays may have on your dog. In that case, it’s essential to inquire with your veterinarian or pest control technician and take necessary precautions.

In the event, you need to induce vomiting, and this is successful, your dog may still ingest more dangerous items commonly found in your home. Always keep this in mind, and secure your pet carefully and gently as they recover from this situation.

5. Follow up with Your Veterinarian

Once you are successful in expelling the toxins from your dog, it’s essential to arrange an appointment with your vet to determine the next steps. While you may have avoided a severe injury and saved your dog’s life within a short time, there may be lingering effects from some residual poison or toxins that your dog ingested.

If you’re unable to reach your veterinarian within the next day, or there’s no availability for several days to a week, contact the animal poison control center in your area. It’s essential to observe your dog’s behavior and take note of anything unusual or concerning. For example, if your dog appears to remain sick, loses its appetite, or doesn’t respond as it did before, these could be signs of another health condition or further complications from the toxins.

When the hydrogen peroxide solution isn’t administered quickly, in some cases, your dog may not vomit in time to reduce or eliminate the risks associated with ingesting poison. For this reason, it’s crucial to contact your family vet and plan on following up with any symptoms of concern and take a proactive approach. Depending on the type of toxin your dog ate, your vet may advise tests to ensure no further concerns about your pet’s health.


Taking proactive measures to prevent your dog from finding and ingesting toxins is vital, though sometimes they can easily swallow or ingest an undetected item, poison, or dangerous substance as you go for a walk or visit a park. This situation can happen anytime and with any dog, whether you’re a new pet owner or experienced with canines. Keeping an eye on your dog’s curiosity is one of the best ways to prevent an accident. Acting quickly when your pup swallows a poisonous object or food can make a significant difference in your pet’s health and well-being.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: