The Best Food for a French Bulldog Puppy: Food for Health and Happiness
The market today is littered with an unlimited number of pet food products. However, comparing all the information and evaluating the numerous ingredients to get the combination that will suit your French bulldog can be extremely challenging. This is worsened by the marketing language and promotional art used by producers trying to push their product that you will have to digest.
The Frenchie is a special dog that requires optimized nutrition, especially as a pup, to grow up strong and avoid allergies and compromised immunity. Today we review some highly recommended puppy food options that we feel will contribute to the healthy development of your small breed pup and are delicious, so the young Frenchie will happily gobble them down.
1. Wellness Core Reduced Fat Protein-Rich Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOG'S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive and no fillers
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT with guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
This palatable dog food has premium proteins derived from fresh meat ingredients guaranteed to aid in the puppy’s growth and development.
It is ideal for Frenchie’s chilled lifestyle due to the reduced fat content, which provides just enough calories to support the dog’s activities without making them obese. It promotes a lean body mass and muscle toning.
It has omega fatty acids from ingredients like flaxseed and salmon oil, essential in the development and maturation of the dog’s juvenile nervous and immune systems. They help in the advancement of sight and brain functions, enhancing training and cognitive capacity.
The turkey and chicken meal recipe provides glucosamine and chondroitin, which are great for joints because they aid in the formation of tendons, ligaments, and cartilages. This is particularly critical for French bulldogs as they are prone to patellar luxation (dislocation of the knee cap) and hip dysplasia (dislocation of the hip joint).
It contains prebiotics and probiotics in the form of fermentation products which ensures your Frenchie has a healthy digestive system. They are sensitive and susceptible to gastrointestinal irritations.
It has micronutrients like zinc sulfate, calcium carbonate, and iron which are critical for bone development and essential vitamins for sustenance of the immune system.
2. Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin small puppy dry dog food (formerly Mini Puppy) is tailor-made for puppies up to 10 months old with an expected adult weight of 9-22 pounds
- Meets the high energy needs of small puppies during their short, intense growth period
- Exclusive small kibble size designed for puppies with small jaws and picky appetites
- Supports developing immune systems with an exclusive blend of antioxidants and vitamins
- Promotes healthy digestion through highly digestible proteins and prebiotics
This chicken-based meal comes with a desirable flavor and savory aroma to entice puppies with picky appetites.
Its kibble sizes and shapes are designed for small jawed puppies with the perfect texture for consumption. In addition, they provide a brushing effect which is great for your French bulldog’s dental hygiene because they will remove tartar from the teeth as the dog chews on them.
They provide sufficient calories for the energy needs of small dogs, and their higher protein to fat ratio (29% versus 18%) will hardly cause obesity. Their formula is size-based, and they come with dietary prescriptions which aid in getting the right portions, so you don’t overfeed your dog.
They are loaded with beta-glucans in hydrolyzed yeast, which fight bacteria, boost immunity, prevent infections in sensitive dogs, and lower blood cholesterol. They improve the immune system further with a collection of vitamins blended with antioxidants. It is a good food for an adult French bulldog and satisfies many of their nutritional needs.
3. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free High Protein Dog Food
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your puppy’s natural love for meat, this high protein puppy dog food features real chicken to help encourage strong muscle growth
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free puppy food is made with the ingredients to help promote healthy development including DHA and ARA, important fatty acids found in mother's milk, to help support cognitive development and retinal health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 4.5-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Holistic veterinarians have formulated this dog meal alongside professional animal nutritionists into a healthy blend of protein, fats, and complex carbohydrates optimized for growth and development.
The quality protein comes from deboned chicken and chicken meal, fish meal, and egg which is perfect for the growth and healthy development of strong muscle. This satisfies the appetite for meat your Frenchie puppy may have at the same time.
It contains calcium, phosphorus, and other essential vitamins that promote the development of strong bones and teeth. They also safeguard your Frenchie from the development of joint problems which occasionally plague them. The vitamins also support the dog’s immune system in conjunction with antioxidants in the food.
It contains omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, which are critical for shiny, non-irritable, and healthy skin. These essential fatty acids like docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and arachidonic acid (ARA) promote cognitive learning and retinal functions. They have anti-inflammatory effects for a better digestive experience.
There are no artificial flavors or artificial preservatives added to it, making it safe for sensitive dogs that French bulldogs are known to be.
4. Taste of The Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Puppy Recipe
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Food with ROASTED BISON and ROASTED VENISON dry dog food; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; high protein (28%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, IMMUNE system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from trusted and SUSTAINABLE local and global sources.
- Formulated without grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors or artificial colors
This cuisine has roasted bison and venison that was pasture-raised, providing the essential proteins whose roast flavor your French puppy will savor. Meat protein is dominant in its composition that makes it ideal for a growing dog. They use it to grow lean muscle which supports the joints and bones.
They contain Taste of the Wild’s proprietary K9 strain probiotics that have been specially formulated for dog food and will promote gastrointestinal health in a number of ways.
The probiotics are applied after cooking to ensure they are still fully functional when ingested by the canines. Every pound of this food has 80 million live and active cultures that make digestion easy and boost immunity.
The kibble sizes are small enough to fit into their small mouths, and their crunchy texture will help clean their teeth.
They have infused salmon oil to provide essential fatty acids like DHA, which support the brain and vision development in puppies.
This dog food goes beyond the essential nutrients; it is packed with many other nutrients which promote general health and assist bodily functions. They have ingredients like blueberry, raspberry, and sweet potatoes, which are also great sources of antioxidants and high in fiber.
5. Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food Variety Pack
- Contains one (1) 24 count case of 3.5 ounce easy peel trays of Cesar Wet Dog Food Poultry Variety Pack: (6) Duck Recipe, (6) Grilled Chicken Flavor, (6) Oven Roasted, Chicken Flavor, (6) Turkey Recipe
- Crafted without grains and with US Chicken, U.S., Turkey or Duck as the No.1 ingredient
- Cesar Wet Dog Food is complete and balanced and fortified with vitamins and minerals to help dogs of all sizes, especially small dog breeds, stay healthy
- Made in the USA with the world's finest ingredients, Cesar makes a great meal on its own or as a moist dog food topper mixed with dry food
- This gourmet dog food is served in convenient trays with easy, peel-away freshness seals
The food is produced in the USA with the best ingredients formulated to meet the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards.
This body uses scientific methods to substantiate the nutritional adequacy of dog food and establish standards and advertising regulations. This means the dog food has passed vetting by subject matter experts in animal science, animal nutrition, and verifiable feed labeling.
It comes in one pack that is already portioned in 24 ready-to-serve trays, making your work easy. They appreciate that dogs also love variety. The 24 trays of this poultry pack comprise equal portions of turkey recipe, oven roasted chicken flavor, duck recipe, and grilled chicken flavor.
There are numerous other Cesar packages with different flavors, and they can be served alone or as toppers with kibble or dry foods. This gives you an infinite number of ways to delight your Frenchie and keep things interesting.
Poultry meat protein is the main ingredient, so it is great for growth and muscle development. It is fortified with vitamins and minerals that strengthen the dog’s immune system and increase bone and joint strength.
6. Eukanuba Puppy Canned Dog Food
- Contains (12) 13.2-oz. cans of EUKANUBA Puppy with Lamb and Rice Canned Puppy Food
- This premium wet dog food is made with real animal protein to help growing puppies build strong muscles
- EUKANUBA Puppy Food has an optimal balance of fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and proteins to promote a healthy weight
- Excellent nutrition balance of fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and protein keep your dog lean and healthy
The main ingredient of this lamb and rice mix is real animal protein which is necessary for growth and muscle building. It comes in a palatable flavor that your Frenchie will enjoy.
Eukanuba has optimized the balance of meat protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals that keeps the dog within a healthy weight threshold while providing sufficient energy to sustain their activity levels.
It has calcium and phosphorus to support muscle and bone development and amino acids like DHA for mind growth and cognitive development. This makes your French bulldog pup more trainable and gives them the right aptitude to learn.
It has healthy antioxidants, which will boost the immune system and aid in digestion.
Essential Components of a French Bulldog Puppy Meal
It is important to know the ingredients you require for your dog’s health and growth and whether the dog will enjoy the meal so that you can sieve through the fine print and find the perfect food. Below are some essential components we used to come up with the list we just reviewed.
A moderate concentration of high-quality animal protein is critical because the young dog is still growing, and it helps in organ and muscle development. However, you should not go too heavy on proteins as Frenchies tend to be a tad sensitive and may develop allergies, including skin allergies, if there are too many unprocessed proteins in their system.
The food should include probiotics which are live beneficial bacteria and yeast that keep their bodies healthy and functional by balancing the gut. They control inflammation and fight off unwanted bacteria from the body.
They also help the pups in digestion and breaking down of food and medications while stopping the entry of the bad bacteria into the bloodstream.
Their anti-inflammatory property makes them ideal for alleviating problems like irritable bowels, diarrhea, and upper respiratory infections, which French bulldogs are susceptible to.
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
This is a critical omega-3 fatty acid that plays a vital role in the brain and is crucial during infancy when the brain is developing. It is present in every cell, but the pups’ bodies don’t produce adequate amounts of the omega fatty acid on their own, so it needs to be supplemented with the dog’s diet.
They make it easier for nerve cells to send and receive electrical signals and having low levels could slow down the signaling between cells, leading to poor eyesight and slowing down brain development.
It is abundantly found in seafood like fish, shellfish, and algae and their products like cod liver oil. It is also found in smaller amounts in meat and dairy from grass-fed animals.
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
It is another omega-3 fatty acid found in fatty fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, oysters, and fish oil supplements.
They help reduce inflammation in the body, making it easier for young canines to consume other foods. They also reduce the risk of heart diseases and obesity by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels, keeping the blood vessels clear.
Arachidonic Acid (ARA)
This is an omega-6 fatty acid that is abundant in the brain, muscles, and liver that is also involved in the regulation of signaling enzymes. It has a role in repairing and growing skeletal muscle tissue and protects the brain from oxidative stress while activating the growth and repair of neurons.
It will indirectly contribute to the dog’s happiness through stress relief.
Dogs have limited capacity to desaturate essential fatty acids hence the need to consume foods with the resource.
These are sugars that help fight harmful bacteria and boost immunity by increasing chemicals that prevent infections in sensitive dogs. They are a source of soluble fiber and will also lower blood cholesterol by preventing its absorption from foods throughout the digestive system.
Beta-glucans are found in yeast, certain bacteria, algae, fungi, lichens, and plants like oats and barley. They are usually broken down through processes like hydrolyzing so they can be easily absorbed into the pup’s system.
These are chemicals that protect cells from the free radicals produced as digestion takes place, making digestion easier in the process.
They are more abundantly found in plant-based sources such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds which by default are also high in fiber. This is a great combination for Frenchie pups with a reputation for sensitive guts.
Any additional ingredients should be easily digestible as the Frenchies’ digestive system tends to lean towards sensitivity. Unfortunately, their sensitivity makes them prone to gastrointestinal problems like irritable bowels, allergies, and diarrhea, which can end up as permanent conditions.
The nutrient profile should be well balanced to support the pup’s development, both physically and mentally. The dog’s diet should fulfill their nutritional needs and human food should be avoided.
French bulldogs’ caloric requirement is medium because they are not extremely active as much as they like to entertain. In this regard, carbohydrates and fats should be regulated, so their excesses don’t turn into cholesterol. This may lead to obesity and a host of many other related problems.
Because they are descendants of wolves, dogs have a natural carnivorous bias, and their palates will often crave some form of meat. However, years of domestication have transformed them from fierce hunters to tamer human companions with demonstrated omnivorous ability.
They can digest carbohydrate-based foods comfortably. Therefore, the dog’s diet should provide them with all the nutrition they require to thrive from a variety of sources that you can find through reputable dog food brands.
French bulldogs have special needs that should be considered, and growing pups need to be fed a diet that promotes healthy growth and development. Both of these categories impact the qualities you will need to look for when selecting the best food for your French bulldog pup.
Let the nutrients determine the ingredients you settle for, not the other way round. If you do this, you will find the best food for French bulldog puppy.