Best Healthy Dog Treats for 2019
Just like you, your dog also loves some delicious treats instead of their regular, boring dog food. Dog treats are the human equivalent of candy and chocolate. There’s nothing wrong with occasionally treating your pooch with some small snacks, especially if you’re rewarding him for good behavior. Dogs like to receive attention from their masters. You will notice their excitement when giving them some alluring treats. Besides using treats to show appreciation, you can also use them for training purposes.
What is the Best Dog Treat?
There is no single universal form of dog treats. Dog treats come in various forms. As such, they can be crunchy, soft or jerky depending on their formula. For the most part, a treat needs to be flavorful, aromatic, small-sized and sufficiently consistent to satisfy your pup’s appetite for a short span of time. Your dog doesn’t care if a treat has any nutrients; he only cares if a treat tastes really good. And so it’s your responsibility to decide upon a healthy treat. As more dog owners are becoming conscious of their dog’s health and the importance of a healthy diet, treat manufacturers too are starting to pay close attention and developing dog treats using organic and natural ingredients that are low in calories.
Some treats are nutritious and provide dental benefits. Those are the treats we are focusing on. There are 2 vital considerations that vets warn dog owners to watch out for when selecting the best healthy dog treats: specific ingredients and calories. Just like us, dogs love treats and sometimes we can overfeed them. A quality dog treat should contain natural ingredients and pack plenty of protein. They need to be free from high calories and unnecessary additives. Too much high calories can lead to obesity and possible health conditions. As a rule of the thumb, dog treats should make up 10 percent of your furry companion’s daily calorie intake.
How to Buy a Quality Dog Treat
In 2019, there are thousands of treats available on the market. You should remember that not all treats are formulated by maintaining quality nutrition. Dog treats can be very unhealthy if you’re not aware of the ingredients that go into making them. The market is flooded by treats that contain too much saturated fats and sugar. As a dog owner, it is your responsibility to pay close attention to your dog’s taste and the food he likes most. The treats you purchase need to reflect your dog’s diet to some extent. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should pick a treat that looks most appetizing for your dog.
Many reviews on the web prioritize the wrong aspect and pick popular products over the ingredient quality. To help you in that regard, we compiled a list of the best healthy dog treats for 2019. We consulted a few dog trainers and vets, and analyzed ingredients labels ourselves. If you are ready to find out what the best dog treats in the market today are, you’re reading the right article.
Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog Treats
- HEALTHY & NATURAL - You want only the best for your best friend. So the premium treats we make at Rocco & Roxie are never enhanced with artificial flavoring or fillers like corn, soy and gluten. They are naturally irresistible. Like dogs.
- SECRET FAMILY RECIPE DOGS LOVE - What's the secret to these tasty treats? We start with all-American beef of the highest quality. The second ingredient is time. It takes a full 10 hours of smoking to develop that soft chewy texture dogs love.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We have been told that even the most finicky dogs love our Jerky Sticks. But don't take our word for it. Break off a piece, see if that tail wags. Tails are such a give-away.
- PERFECT TRAINING TREAT - Your dog accomplishes a task; he gets a treat. He gets a treat he really really loves and that makes him want to learn more. Our treats are super motivating!
- NO-STINK HANDS - Unlike artificially enhanced dog treats that leave a greasy, smelly residue on your hands, these feel and smell just like a delicious piece of beef jerky.
As one of the bestseller dog chew treats on Amazon, this treat comes with 7-8” jerky sticks made of tender, delicious, naturally-smoked and slowly-roasted beef, chicken or turkey. The family-owned company sources ingredients from credible and reputable farms. With a single protein ingredient formulation, they don’t contain any artificial ingredients or allergenic fillers like soy, corn and gluten. You can easily break the Jerky Dog Treats into small pieces. One stick is enough to satisfy your dog’s palate. The pack contains around 25 sticks. The unique manufacturing process of this USDA certified treat means that your hands won’t be left with oily or smelly residues after you feed your pooch like other common treats. The price range makes hindrance of some dog owners.
Wellness Natural Grain Free Puppy Training Treats
- Just For Puppy: Soft, Chewy, Perfectly-Sized Treats Specially For Puppies Made With Premium Lamb And Salmon
- Treating Or Training: Soft, Delicious Dog Treats Great For Everyday Treating Or Training
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Corn, Soy, Artificial Colors Or Flavors
- Made In Usa: Backed By Our Wellness Guarantee And Quality Assured Made In The Usa With The Finest Globally-Sourced Ingredients
- Have You Switched Your Dog To Wellness Natural Dry And Wet Dog Food Yet?
If your pup loves biscuits and similar stuff, you should consider this natural treat. Besides giving your puppy a safe and protein-rich treat, you will help him to improve the health of his eyes as well as his nervous system functioning. Made in the United States with the finest globally-sourced ingredients, the Soft Lamb and Salmon variant is rich in DHA and EPA for excellent antioxidation and inflammatory action. Your puppy will end up with optimum skin and coat health. The treats are available in puppy-sized bits removing the need to break them further. They don’t contain any artificial preservatives, allergenic grains or unhealthy fillers.
Greenies Dog Dental Chews Dog Treats
- Contains one (1) 36 oz. 130-count pack of GREENIES Original TEENIE Natural Dental Dog Treats; Natural Dog Treats Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients
- GREENIES Original TEENIE Natural Dental Dog Treats, 36 oz. Pack
- The unique texture of GREENIES Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and freshen breath
- GREENIES Treats for Dogs are veterinarian recommended and accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
- Treat your dog fantastically with the great taste of GREENIES Original Dental Treats
Greenies products have a reputation for delicious, healthy and hygienic food ingredients. This is also true for their dog dental chew that is designed to support your dog’s oral health. A great part of your dog’s dental plan, the treats are low in fat and easy to digest. For an irresistible taste, they are naturally flavored with blueberries. Shaped to look like a mini toothbrush, they are weight friendly for inactive and overweight dogs. Recognized by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC), they will help your pooch develop healthier teeth and gums by getting rid of tartar and plaque. Doggy breath is a nuisance. The treats will leave your dog with freshening breath by fighting against mouth odor. Available in 4 styles – Tiny, Petite, Regular, Large and Jumbo and 4 sizes – 6, 18, 27 and 36 ounces, you are sure to find the right size and style for your furry companion.
Milo’s Kitchen Chicken Meatballs Dog Treats
- Home-style dog treats with 100% real chicken as the #1 ingredient
- Wholesome and delicious, with no artificial flavors or colors
- Made in the USA and meets the applicable standards and specifications of the USDA, the FDA, and the AAFCO
- Customer satisfaction guaranteed
Milo’s Kitchen Chicken Meatball Dog Treats are as healthy as they are delicious. They prepared from 100 percent real chicken as the primary ingredient. High in protein with no artificial colors/flavors or added preservatives, these treats will make a complete meal for your dog. They are soft to chew making them suitable for all ages of dogs. You will no longer feel guilty about treating your puppy more often than you should. Made in the United States, they meet the applicable standards and specifications of the FDA, the USDA and the AAFCO.
Old Mother Hubbard Crunchy Classic Natural Dog Treats
- Delicious: Crunchy Everyday Treat, Packed With The Delicious Taste Of Peanut Butter, Molasses, Apples & Carrots
- Treating Or Training: Fun, Delicious Crunchy Bone Shape Dog Biscuits Great For Everyday Treating Or Training
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Artificial Preservatives
- Made In North America: Backed By The Old Mother Hubbard Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In North America
- Trusted For Over 90 Years: Since 1926 Old Mother Hubbard Has Been Baking Wholesome, Tasty Recipes With All Natural Ingredients
These reasonably-priced treats are carefully formulated using only the finest natural ingredients to ensure a healthy reward to encourage your pup. Old Mother Hubbard believes that dog snacks should be prepared with love and passion. Over the past 9 decades, the company has been baking tasty and wholesome recipes for dogs. No harmful ingredient is included in this recipe, which helps to keep your pooch safe and secure. Recommended for dogs of all sizes, the treats are available in different flavors and sizes, meaning you have plenty of options to treat your pooch with. To make this treats a bit more interesting, they shaped them like a bone.
Whether you’re playing with your dog or training him, a healthy dog treat is always a great tool to make him feel loved and appreciated while also learning to associate his actions to something that is positive, pleasant and rewarding. Make sure to strike the right balance between healthy dog foods and healthy treats. The transition from unhealthy to healthy treats could take a while but remember that good things take time. All the products on our list are top picks and whichever product you settle for, you will guarantee your dog a long and healthy life.
After picking the right treats for your dog training, check out some of the Best Dog Training Treat Pouches to carry them in.