What Is the Best Smelling Dog Shampoo? Here’s Our Top Picks
Your shampoo choices are endless, and everybody claims their brand smells better than any other out there. However, it is universally agreed that wet dog smell is unpleasant, and you want your pup to smell nice after a shower. A pleasantly smelling shampoo is therefore unavoidable, especially if yours is a house pet with which you constantly pet and snuggle with.
We spent time coming up with some excellent recommendations based on multiple user reviews, our own grooming experiences, and recommendations from veterinarians and animal health experts. As for the best smelling dog shampoo, we concluded that it boils down to individual preferences. As much as you are getting it for the dog, the bias, just like buying shampoo for your own use, will lean towards your taste.
We have tried to be expansive with our reviews below to capture various tastes, so it is clear there is something for everyone, even when you factor in what is best for your dog.
Our Top Picks
1. Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo with Vanilla and Almond Flavor
- HELPS RELIEVE ITCHING & DRY SKIN: Specially formulated to address the needs of pets with dry, itchy skin. Colloidal oatmeal and organic aloe vera help combat skin irritation, promote healing, and re-moisturize sensitive, dry skin. This concentrated shampoo is soap free and pH-balanced to clean and deodorize safely and thoroughly, leaving your pet's coat soft, plush, and smelling better than ever.
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as renewable plant-derived & coconut-based cleansers, colloidal oatmeal, and organic aloe vera. NO PARABENS, NO DYES, NO SOAP, NO SULFATES, NO PHTHALATES, NO ALCOHOL.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the ingredients that touch your pet's coat and skin should be as naturally effective, non-toxic, and gentle as possible. This product is PH-BALANCED FOR PETS and safe for dogs, puppies, cats & kittens over 6 weeks old.
- MADE IN USA & CRUELTY FREE: We at earthbath have a genuine love for pets and concern for the environment. Since 1995, these passions have been at the heart of everything we do, from the ingredients we put into our products, to how and where we make our products, and the support we show to animals in need.
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason.
The sweet vanilla and oatmeal fragrance will have you looking for excuses to give your dog extra baths and hug them throughout in between. The dog’s coat and skin will not stop you either; the resulting silky softness will tempt you to run your fingers through their fur over and over.
The natural ingredients have been formulated into a soap-free and pH-balanced product that can clean safely without causing any adverse reactions or harming your dog in any way.
It soothes skin irritation, promotes healing, and moisturizes dry skin and sensitive skin thanks to the organic aloe vera and oatmeal blend.
It can be used alongside other treatments like flea medication without interfering with their effectiveness but will still get all the dirt out.
The dog’s coat is left clean and soft, and your dog will smell nice and feel good.
2. Honeydew Lavender Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Dog Oatmeal Shampoo - Try one of the best dog shampoo formulas handcrafted to cleanse and moisturize dry skin and fur for a pet shampoo for dogs that’s a dog grooming supplies and pet bath staple
- Deodorizing Dog Shampoo - You can trust our dog body wash and oatmeal shampoo for dogs for a pet deodorizer that removes dirt and odors thanks to potent lavender oil for dogs in our dog odor shampoo
- Big and Small - Whether looking for the best puppy shampoo for small dogs or a gentle dog cleaner for older dogs we got you covered with our versatile oatmeal lavender dog shampoo for all dogs
- Dog Supplies - We take dog shower & bath accessories seriously and we believe all dog stuff should be gentle and effective which is why all our dog products are created with high quality ingredients
- Pet Pleasant Quality - Choose us and give your furry friend premium pet care with superstar ingredients like Jojoba oil Keratin Lavender Glycerin and more for a moisturizing and refreshing cleanse
This deodorizing dog shampoo can neutralize odors and convert them into the pleasant fragrance of lavender due to an abundance of lavender oil in its formulation. The oil also moisturizes the skin and calms the dog by soothing skin irritation.
The gentle oatmeal formula has superior cleansing power and removes dirt and odors skin deep while softening the skin and fur.
It hydrates dull fur, making it easy to manage and brush. Consequently, your dog will not loathe those baths like they do when you keep tugging at knots in their fur trying to straighten them.
The blend of pure lavender, essential oils, and oatmeal makes this natural shampoo admissible for sensitive dogs. It allows you to use it often as it replenishes all the natural oils washed off in the course of the bath.
You lather it on a wet dog’s coat, rub it into the dog’s skin and allow the benefits to sink in for up to two minutes before rinsing it off.
3. Pets Are Kids Too Premium Pet Oatmeal Shampoo
- Comprehensive anti itch formula: oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera based pet shampoo with coconut provides instant itch relief! Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with cats and dogs with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for guinea pigs as well
- Vet endorsed & smells incredible: The light yet amazing oatmeal cookie scent is the long lasting way to eliminate odor. Vet formulated specifically for large or small dogs and cats. This is the secret of some leading professional groomers
- Pet allergy friendly: soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion – helps protect your doggy or kitty from itching, shedding, & allergies! Zero harmful chemicals (unlike other dog shampoos)
- Tear free & dandruff free: The only natural dog shampoo I’ll use on my own pets from puppy & kitty to senior dogs and cats! Plant derived ingredients are gentle on paw and nose and provide enhanced moisturizing
- Lifetime, no questions asked, manufacturer money back guarantee (yes, lifetime) - You and your pets will Love it or get a full refund, plus it is made 100% in the USA cruelty-free so go ahead and make your fur baby even more huggable by clicking "Add to Cart" now
It leaves a long lasting oatmeal cookie scent that is both homely and natural. It eliminates the wet dog smell, replacing it with this gentle scent that both you and the pup will be thrilled about.
The shampoo is great for soothing itches and inflammations and moisturizes for a soft, shiny, and beautiful coat. It is aloe vera based and infused with baking soda and oatmeal, all extracted from natural sources to ensure they don’t induce negative reactions.
These products use 100% organic ingredients, meaning no skin irritants like artificial and harsh chemicals, alcohol, or detergents.
Its coconut-based cleanser deeply washes the coat and moisturizes it, leaving a silky soft, aesthetically appealing canine that you will be proud to show off.
Your purchase is absolutely risk-free because they come with a lifetime money-back guarantee; the manufacturers are confident you will love it.
‘Pets are Kids Too’ donate a portion of the profits for every product you purchase to funding the medical procedure of a pet in need, giving you a chance to give back to the community. That has to be the best smelling shampoo deal for a dog lover.
4. K9 Pro Aloe and Oatmeal Cucumber Melon Shampoo
- Most Other Shampoo For Dogs Are Cheap Soaps - Many With Harsh Chemicals And Detergents - K9-Max Is An All Natural Soap Free Vet Developed Formula That Is So Effective You Won't Believe it Is All Natural. This Soft Gentle Hypoallergenic Shampoo Is For Dry Itchy Sensitive Skin with a Soothing Cucumber & Melon Scent That People Just Rave About
- Proprietary Liposome Technology - Nano Liposome particles encapsulate the organic functional ingredients, adhere to the surface and penetrate through the skin, and thus carry the ingredients to areas where they are most effective
- K9-Max Is The Highest Quality Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo - We didn't sacrifice quality when we set out to produce the best dog shampoo ever available on amazon or anywhere. Made in the USA - manufactured in a top rated CGMP facility using only the highest quality ingredients
- Turn Bath Time Into Play Time - Your dog will love this time you get to spend together. In a tub or shower K9-Max pet wash shampoo applies easily using warm water. Simply wet your pet thoroughly then apply a generous amount of puppy shampoo and conditioner tear free, head to tail to feet. Rinse thoroughly and dry
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - We are so confident you and your dog will love this premium dog shampoo that if you are not satisfied for any reason - just let us know, and we will refund your purchase price - not other questions asked
This one has a cucumber and melon scent great for odor control because it feels natural and ever fresh. It is gentle and would not cause an adverse reaction to both pet and owner.
All you have to do is wet the dog’s coat with lukewarm water and apply a sufficient amount of it to create a rich lather. Then you rub it all the way in and let it stay for 5 to 10 minutes so that the formula can do its job before rinsing it off.
Their proprietary liposome technology ensures the ingredients get to their intended stations penetrating through the fur and the dog’s skin for maximum effectiveness. As a result, your pup will smell great for days, and you will have successfully gotten rid of the wet dog smell or any other lingering smell from dirt and sweat.
It is tear-free, which allows you to apply it from head to tail. Some of the bad odors and dirt usually set up camp on the head, and it pains you when you can’t wash it away. The dog will jump on you at some point to lick your face in a friendly or grateful gesture. Keep in mind the shampoo is also for your convenience as much as you bought it for the dog.
Oatmeal is a natural soothing agent which calms rashes and inflammations, while aloe vera brings relief to dry and itchy skin. This combination will leave the coat clean, shiny, healthy, and comfortable for the dog.
5. Richard’s Organics Deodorizing Shampoo for Dogs
- REMOVE ODORS: Deodorizing Dog Shampoo contains baking soda, zinc, aloe vera, rosemary extract and lavender oil to remove odors naturally and effectively. Antimicrobial properties remove bad odors caused by bacteria and fungus on your pet’s skin.
- SHINY HEALTHY COAT: The gentle deodorizing shampoo for dogs contains natural extracts and oils to soothe skin and leave the coat clean, moisturized, shiny, healthy and smelling great.
- VET RECOMMENDED: This shampoo for dogs is pH balanced, paraben-, dye-, and soap-free. The coconut-oil based cleanser won’t remove essential oils that can lead to skin irritation and will not wash away topical spot-on flea and tick treatments.
- FOR BEST RESULTS: Apply natural shampoo, work into a lather and leave on coat for several minutes. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry. Safe for frequent use.
- EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE: Richard’s Organics pet wellness and healing products are created with premium ingredients and available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dogs and cats are more than just pets, because we are pet parents too.
This one has a soothing rosemary and lavender scent courtesy of lavender oil and rosemary extract in its composition. They combine with natural extracts to remove and control odors so that the sweet lavender dominates. This is why it is billed as deodorizing shampoo.
The gentle coconut oil-based cleanser spares the essential oils in the dog’s skin and does not strip the coat. You can leave it in for several minutes as the formula works its magic.
The natural blend of baking soda, zinc, and rosemary has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties, which fight harmful bacteria, fungus, and yeast that may cause skin inflammation, skin infection, and rancid dog odor.
The shampoo moisturizes and soothes the dog’s skin while protecting it from any new skin infection. If the dog feels great, their mood will show it; they will be less irritable and lethargic, exuding a generally happy demeanor.
6. Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Shampoo
The long lasting scent is a mixture of aloe, lavender, and coconut, which is soothing and natural, so it’s not overbearing to the dog’s acute sense of smell.
The oatmeal shampoo relieves itchiness and dryness and strengthens the skin barrier as it thoroughly cleans the coat and fur. Its anti-inflammatory properties are enhanced by blending it with coconut and lavender oil, which besides calming your pet’s skin, also moisturizes it and improves its elasticity.
With no inflammations to worry about, the skin’s luster is restored to a shiny, smooth texture. What you see on the outside reflects the inside; the bacteria, yeast, and fungi that cause infection are eliminated.
Lillian Ruff is against all forms of animal cruelty. As a result, their products are tested on humans, and they are made to human standards. Their pH is, however, balanced to dog standards so that they are not inflammatory.
7. Fluppets Certified Organic Pet Shampoo
- PET SHAMPOO MADE FROM ORGANIC OILS. Certified to USDA organic food standards. Formulated and made in the US. 100% all natural ingredients. Saponified organic oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba. Natural essential oil blend of Lemongrass & Rosemary, Organic Aloe Vera. Natural rosemary extract is the only preservative
- HIGHLY CONCENTRATED, SAFE, SYNTHETIC FREE, CONDITIONING SHAMPOO protect yourself and your furry loved ones by using our safe and non-toxic liquid pet shampoo alternative to detergent and chemical cleaners. Perfect for sensitive pets of all ages; Any puppy, dog; cat and kitten, horse, bunny and all other types of animals
- A PET SHAMPOO PERFECT FOR ITCHY & SENSITIVE SKIN Many animals and their guardians develop sensitivities to the detergent chemicals commonly used in pet shampoos today. You can rest assured there are absolutely NO nasty Parabens, Phthalates, Phosphates, Sulfates, Petrochemicals, Synthetic or Semi Synthetic Fragrances or PEG's in our Pet Shampoo, so the possibility of sensitivity reactions is greatly reduced
- HYPOALLERGENIC free of petroleum or animal by-products Our eco-friendly natural liquid pet shampoo is extraordinarily mild. Just like human skin and hair, our pet’s skin and coat respond better when a natural product is used. Helps to promote a healthy, hydrated skin and coat, whereas shampoos containing harsh and toxic chemicals can cause dry itchy, scaly skin with poor hair quality, lacking moisture and shine
- For each bottle sold, WE DONATE FIFTY CENTS to BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SOCIETY. All donations go directly toward saving the lives of furry, four-legged friends. OUR GUARANTEE TO YOU - If you’re not happy, we’re not happy! If we can’t make it right for you and you are not satisfied for any reason, we will gladly and promptly refund your purchase price. We promise!
This one has a natural rosemary fragrance that is soothing to the senses and a highly concentrated cleaning agent, which will ensure your pup gets a thorough bath with 100% organic natural ingredients.
The cleaning agent comprises saponified organic oils of coconut, olive, and jojoba. These natural extracts enrich the dog’s coat even as they get rid of dirt and unwanted material. They have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, soothing, and moisturizing properties.
It comes with essential oils from lemongrass and rosemary, which moisturize the skin and improve its elasticity while also combating inflation. Coupled with the soothing and healing capabilities of aloe vera, this is the optimal hypoallergenic shampoo recipe every vet should recommend for sensitive dogs of all ages.
Your dog will not only come out looking and smelling fresh, but they will also be feeling refreshed and relieved of the burden that is skin trouble. They will have more energy and be less distracted, making it easier to train them, feed them, or involve them in any other activity.
8. Isle of Dogs Everyday Keratin Volume Shampoo
- KERATIN VOLUME: This shampoo is gentle, sulfate and paraben-free, and helps make the coat look and feel thicker, fuller and plusher. Keratin helps strengthen the hair and builds volume and fullness.
- FRESH SMELLING: This gentle, rich, volumizing keratin-rich shampoo features our signature violet and sea mist fragrance. Built-in odor neutralizers will help keep the coat smelling fresher longer.
- CLEAN PUPS: A clean, shiny & fresh coat is a good indicator of a healthy, well-loved pup & a necessity for extended cuddle time. Our shampoos, conditioners & brush sprays are perfectly balanced & help remove odor.
- HELPING YOUR DOG SHINE: We understand the power of wellness to help dogs shine from the inside out. We offer nutritionally superior food, treats, & supplements alongside premium grooming products.
- INNER WELLNESS & OUTER BEAUTY: We promote health & beauty through nutrition and wellness because we care as much as you do about what you put in, & on, your dog's body.
It features a violet and sea mist fragrance that is gentle on the nose. This is supported by ingrained dog odor neutralizers, which eliminate the smells accumulated on the dog’s body during bathing time and resist the accumulation of more. Consequently, the canine will smell great for a longer period.
The formula has keratin protein which strengthens the hair on the pooch’s coat and helps it build volume and fill up. There will be a remarkable reduction in hair loss and bald patches on the coat. In addition, it insulates the hair against damages caused while grooming, like breakages.
Keratin also makes hair smoother, silkier, and easier to brush or comb by reducing tangling and mats. Additionally, if you would like to style the dog’s mane, keratin will help it hold together and reduce loose hairs.
Wet the dog’s hair before applying the shampoo, which you then massage into the coat and skin thoroughly. Next, rinse it off to get rid of the dirt and microbial that the formula will have loosened from the dog’s body. Next, apply a lighter layer of shampoo and let the second layer linger on the dog for up to 5 minutes. This allows the shampoo enough time to work its magic on the now cleaner dog before rinsing it off thoroughly.
9. Perfect Coat Mild Puppy Shampoo
- Extra mild and tearless ingredients to gently clean and protect puppy's delicate skin and coat
- With Keratin and Jojoba oils
- Long-lasting baby powder fragrance
- 16 fl oz bottle
- Extra gentle formula for puppies' delicate skin and coat
This one has a gentle baby powder scent which makes you want to hold your puppy closer. It is actually designed for puppies and their sensitive coats. It is non-tearing, so you need not worry about getting some of it in the eyes of the pup.
It has a combination of jojoba oil and keratin, which moisturize and improve the skin’s elasticity, reduce inflammation, and soothe itchiness. They give the coat a glossy shine and strengthen the hair, setting it up to grow fuller and healthier.
It is infused with conditioning milk protein which retains moisture and keeps the skin hydrated while forming a protective cover that reduces exposure to irritants.
What Is the Best Smelling Dog Shampoo?
The truth is the dog never really gets to choose the scent of the shampoo that you use on them. The adorable creatures actually leave this life-changing decision to your discretion. They probably wouldn’t care anyway if they were to be given a voice. The scent is higher up in our priorities than it is on theirs.
Because you are the one who will be wrestling with them to get them to take a bath before you snuggle with them later, you might just make your case that dog shampoo affects you significantly enough for you to get to choose the scent on behalf of your pal who speaks a foreign language.
Of course, you will do this with utmost good faith and factor in their interest by checking with the vet to confirm the ingredients in the dog shampoo that you pick are not harmful to your dog. Pick a scent that appeals to you. Use your favorite perfume or, even better, shampoo to profile your preferred scent.
A majority of us already have a signature, whether it is floral, tropical, sweet, or based on a domestic smell we are used to. You probably already formed a bias in our reviews above based on this. Don’t fight the urge; just remember to keep it regulated and mild because the dog’s sense of smell is super developed, and the scent could be overbearing.
The scent of the shampoo is undeniably one of our top motivators when we go shopping for dog shampoo. But, as much as you can see it, you also need to smell the cleanliness in a scent that appeals to your nostrils to truly appreciate the shampoo on your favorite canine.