Top 5 Best Long Lasting Dog Chews for Tough Chewers
Some dogs simply need the best long lasting dog chews. This is mostly true if you have a pup with tough jaws and an inkling to chew through things. The upside is that if you get them the best long lasting dog chews, they will remain focused on dismantling those chew toys for hours, if not days. This means that you can peacefully get a few things done around the house like cook without having to deal with “puppy-dog eyes” every time you turn around, and you aren’t serving them food.
While you might think that chew toys aren’t that much of a priority, the truth is that without them, your dog will start chewing through several things around the house. Think:
- Your shoes
- The carpet
Pretty much anything that they can fit into their mouth will be in the line of fire.
Furthermore, chew toys are an excellent way to ensure that your dog maintains healthy teeth and a healthy jaw. Some treats double up as both a chew toy and a teeth cleaner.
If you are in the market for new long lasting chew toys for your best friend, here are some options that would be wonderful.
Note: No matter how grown your pooch is, it’s advisable not to leave them unattended with a chew toy. While it’s rare, the truth is these toys can quickly turn into a choking hazard.
The Best Long Lasting Chew Toys for Man’s Best Friend
Let’s take a quick look at some of the best and the longest lasting chew toys for a range of dog breeds, from Chihuahuas to German Shepherds.
1. Jack&Pup Pork Femur Dog Bones
- Fun, Flavorful Favorite - Your dog will love these unique dog chew bones! Premium pork femur bones for aggressive chewers combined with a beef twist for added flavor and fun. Perfectly roasted for optimum taste and hours of chewing delight.
- Premium Quality - Sourced from quality pigs and free range grass fed cattle untreated by hormones and antibiotics for a healthier and tastier dog treat. Each long lasting dog bone is handpicked and inspected to ensure consistency and quality.
- Healthy And Vitamin Rich - Pork femur bones for dogs are a vitamin superfood. Packed with marrow that contains a natural source of vital anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids as well as protein and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Dental Hygiene - Keep your pup's pearly whites strong! The pig femur bone twists treats for dogs promote clean teeth and strong gums by scraping away plaque and tartar as your dog chews.
- Saftey 1st - The careful and natural preparation of the healthy dog treats makes its consumption fully safe. 100% digestible simple ingredient treat that will be gentle on your pup's stomach.
If you have a huge dog breed, you probably want a chew toy that can keep them busy and distracted for more than just a few minutes. These Jack&Pup Pork Femur Dog Bones are some of the best options when it comes to keeping them distracted for days. Not only are they slow-roasted, but they are also wrapped in deliciously tough beef jerky that challenges any chompers out there.
These are 10-inch long pork femur bones. One of the main reasons this is a popular option for dog lovers is that there aren’t any added ingredients except for the bone itself, which is handpicked, and the beef jerky. This means that if you have a dog with a delicate constitution, you can relax knowing that they won’t be adversely affected by any preservatives, artificial additives, or fillers in this chew dog toy because there aren’t any.
In addition to this, the manufacturer says that they only use high-quality pigs and beef from grass-fed cows, which aren’t treated by any antibiotics or hormones.
Another aspect that needs mentioning, while we are still on this “healthy treats” trail of thought, is that these bones are slow-roasted. That process in itself eliminates most, if not all, contaminants and bacteria. That makes these chew toys completely safe for your dog.
In the spirit of going above and beyond, the manufacturer also ensures that these treats are healthy and rich in vitamins. They are packed full of marrow which contains omega 3 fatty acids, proteins, vitamins, and a host of minerals that are all good for your dog’s overall health.
Finally, these pig femur chew toys wrapped in tough beef jerky are a good way to keep your dog’s teeth clean. As they attempt to chew through the bones, they scrape tartar and plaque away.
- Very long lasting
- Full of vitamins and other minerals
- Sourced from high-quality animals
- No additives
- Good for teeth cleaning
- Pungent smell
2. EcoKind Pet Treats Gold Yak Dog Chews
These EcoKind Pet Treats Gold Yak Dog Chews are made in Nepal using 100% Yak milk. This makes them delicious and full of calcium, which in turn is excellent for the health of your dog’s bones and teeth. They are also lactose and gluten-free, just in case your dog has a sensitive stomach.
While these dog chews are a tough dog treat and will keep your puppy busy for days on end, they are easy to digest, making them excellent for dogs with delicate constitutions or allergies. This is mostly because they don’t have any artificial additives, chemicals, or any preservatives that might negatively react with your dog’s digestive system.
These are roughly 6 to 8-inch sticks that come in 1 to 5 lb bags. Each Himalayan chew is about two inches wide and can keep your dog busy for hours on end. Because they are organic and sizeable, they can be given to pretty much any size dog and breed.
The only downside to this long lasting dog chew is that these chews are exactly the best option if you have a dog with dental health problems. While they do help improve jaw and teeth strength, they have a rather hard and quite crunchy texture which makes them unsuitable for dogs that already have weak teeth. You may want to consider a dog dental chew instead.
Made out of “A” grade Yak milk and in accordance with an ancient Himalayan recipe, these chews are not only delicious, but they are nutritious, safe, and excellent for improving your dog’s bone, teeth, and jaw health as well as keeping them busy for hours.
- Made out of “A” grade Yak milk
- Lactose and gluten-free
- Lasts for hours
- Good for dog’s bone and teeth health
- Excellent for dogs of all sizes and breeds
- Not suitable for dogs with sensitive dental health
3. Purina Busy Chewnola Real Beefhide Dog Chews
- Available in a 2-count 4 oz. pouch or 10-count 20 oz. pouch. Long-lasting 3-layer chew helps clean teeth
- Made with wholesome oats and brown rice for tasty goodness. Center layer features real beefhide that offers a flavor dogs love
- Triple-layered design invites your dog to lick, savor and chew. Created to feed a dog's natural instinct to chew
- Unique multi-dimensional design serves as a visual cue for snack time. Backed by Purina with over 90 years of experience pushing pet innovation forward
- Undergoes rigorous quality assurance checks that provide added peace of mind.
Manufactured by a highly trusted brand, this Purina Busy Chewnola Real Beefhide Dog Chews is the perfect dog chew option for dog parents who have a particular taste for granola and muesli. As it turns out, those are things only dog parent can enjoy but their pets too.
This particular long lasting dog chew option stands out from the rest of the pack for several good reasons. For one thing, it features a triple-layered design that has oats and brown rice at the top. Not only does that combination look quite attractive to your dog, but it’s also rather tough.
This means that your dog will spend hours trying to chew through those layers to get at whatever is underneath. What’s even better, these layers include a center made out of real beef hide; tough and tasty.
Secondly, these chews are full of protein and fiber but quite low in fat. This not only makes them tasty and healthy for your dog, but it also means that (thanks to the layers) they are excellent teeth cleaning tools.
As your dog goes through the different layers, the chews gently clean their teeth. The chews also have whole grains as part of the overall ingredient, which means that your dog will remain healthy.
Finally, these chews are excellent for all kinds of dogs. You must, however, keep an eye on how much you give your dog depending on their size. Since each one of these chews has 163-calories, it’s advisable to limit smaller dogs to no more than three chews a week while the larger breeds can go up to 6.
- Manufactured by a trusted brand
- Has layers that help clean teeth
- Contains protein and fiber
- Lasts for hours
- Great for all dog breeds and sizes
- Some dogs might not be able to stomach the granola
4. SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews
- RAWHIDE-FREE: Easy-to-digest dog chews made with real chicken and wholesome vegetables.
- SKIN & COAT CARE: Contains essential fatty acids – helps maintain a healthy skin and coat.
- EASY TO DIGEST: Highly digestible and 100% delicious.
- HELPS MAINTAIN HEALTHY TEETH: SmartBones chews have all the benefits of a rawhide chew without the rawhide – chewing helps maintain healthy teeth.
- STICK SHAPES: 16 stick-shaped chew treats dogs love.
If you are in the market for tasty treats that not only keep your dog busy but also help maintain the health of their coat and skin, then you might want to give these SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews a second look. These treats are tasty and beneficial to the dog’s skin and coat, but they are also excellent for maintaining the dog’s teeth by cleaning them in the process.
SmartBones is a highly trustworthy brand in the market, and as is customary with many of their chews, this one also contains real animal products. That means that your dog will be munching on real chicken instead of chicken by-products such as fat, chicken meal, or any such thing. The chews also contain vegetables like peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes to help boost your dog’s health. Furthermore, it has a host of minerals such as B12, E, and A.
Being that this product is rawhide-free and doesn’t contain any artificial additives or preservatives, it’s an excellent option for people with dogs that may have allergies or skin issues. Even dogs with hypothyroidism can benefit from these chews.
The downside to these chews is that they aren’t too soft, which is a good thing and means that the dog won’t get bored with it; they aren’t too tough to break your dog’s teeth in the same breath. They are just right. Unfortunately, unlike the rest of the chews on this list, these won’t last for hours; depending on how aggressive your dog chews, they might last for minutes (10 plus).
- Great for your dog’s skin and coat
- Delicious treats
- Enriched with a host of minerals, including vitamins
- Doesn’t last quite as long as some of the chews on this list
5. Perfect Pet Chews – Deer Antler Dog Chew
- Recommended Size: Like all pets each antler is different, if your pet is an aggressive chewer we recommend going up at least 1 size.
- Healthy Benefits: Deer Antlers Are the Perfect Choice for Aggressive Chewers. Completely Odorless and Excellent Source of Calcium, Phosphorous, and Other Nutrients. These Long Lasting Chews Are Also a Great Way to Keep Your Dog’s Teeth Clean, Massage Their Gums, and Exercise Their Jaw. They Are Jam Packed With Salubrious Nutrients to Aid in the Building of Strong Teeth, Bones and Clean the Dog’s Gums With Mechanical Action of Chewing.
- Quality: Premium North American Shed Antler, Grade A, All Natural, Organic, and Long Lasting Treats. All Edges Sanded Smooth. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
- Made In The USA: We Never Add Dyes, Preservatives or Chemical Enhancements. Antler Is a Porous Substance, Any Fluid Introduced Can Be Absorbed by the Antler, Thereby Altering Its Natural State. We Source Our Antlers Within the US and Because We Use Shed Antler, No Animals Are Harmed in the Collection of Our Antlers. Made From Naturally Shed Antlers in the USA.
- Safe For Your Dog: These Long-Lasting Deer Chews Are the Strongest Chew Available, and Will Not Splinter or Break Into Large, Dangerous Pieces.
There’s this saying that goes, “give the dog a bone…”. There’s a reason for that saying. For one thing, dogs love bones; they can chew on them for as long as the bone lasts. Secondly, bones have calcium, which is beneficial for, funnily enough, the dog’s bone development.
With that in mind, these Perfect Pet Chews – Deer Antler Dog Chew which are quite essentially bones, are some of the best long lasting dog chews that are both tasty and beneficial to their overall health.
When you have an aggressive chewer in the house, going for deer antlers is the perfect option. These, in particular, are tough and odorless. They are also an excellent source of phosphorous, calcium, and a host of other nutrients.
Furthermore, the fact that these antlers are tough yet chewable means that they are a good way to help keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy and clean. As they gnaw away at the antlers, they slowly but consistently massage their gums while exercising the jaw and cleaning the teeth.
Couple all that with the Salubrious Nutrients that are jam-packed in each antler chew, and you have the perfect aid for building strong teeth, clean gums, bones, and enhancing your dog’s mechanical chewing action.
This antler chew is sourced organically and are all North American Shed Antlers which are all organic, natural, and have their edges sanded smooth. There are no dyes, artificial additives, preservatives, or chemical enhancements whatsoever in these antlers.
These are by far the strongest chews available on the market. They are safe, too, as they won’t splinter while your dog chews away at them.
- Strong and very long lasting
- No artificial additives
- Organically sourced
- Full of calcium and other nutrients
- You can find options for all size dogs
- Can’t be ingested by your dog
As a dog parent in the market for the best long lasting dog chews, there are several things you need to consider before making your choice. While how long the chew actually lasts has to be one of the most important factors, there other benefits that you must look at. For example:
- How good is the chew at actually cleaning your dog’s teeth?
- Do the chews come with any other added benefits, such as nutrients?
- Can the chews help you achieve something more such as maintain the health of your dog’s skin and coat?
- What about dogs with delicate constitutions? Can they handle the chews?
Finally, things like price and the number of calories also need to come into play when looking for the best dog chew toy and dog treat, as you will probably be using a lot of these chews to keep your dog busy most of the time. You don’t want them getting overweight.