The Best Dog Toothpaste Options for Your Pup- Complete Guide
Periodontal diseases are collectively the most predominant disease affecting dogs and cats globally. It originates from plaque and gingivitis. Dogs as young as 3 years can show signs of oral disease, like tooth decay or bleeding gums, and the prevalence increases as the pets get older.
Starting good dental practices early helps to maintain strong and healthy teeth and avoid a wide array of complications later on as we are about to find out. If left untreated, the bacteria from the dogs teeth and gums can even spread through the bloodstream and into the kidneys, liver, and heart, causing serious health problems.
Early intervention can help avoid complicated veterinary dental procedures that will require sedation. Experts recommend that you brush your dogs teeth daily using doggy toothpaste and brush. Plus, take your dog for a biannual dental health exam from your veterinarian and yearly professional cleaning.
You need the right tools for your dog’s daily oral hygiene routine, and today we are going through the best toothpaste options currently available in the market. We are sharing our research which involved consultations with seasoned dog groomers, veterinarians, and passionate dog owners.
The Best Dog Toothpaste Options of 2021
We shall start by reviewing a few reasonably priced and practical products that we feel embody the qualities our research recommended for our fur babies.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY GUMS - Dog dental kit is gentle yet effective in reducing tartar buildup, eliminating dog's bad breath, and whitening and brightening your dog's teeth
- MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Natural ingredients ensure optimal dental health for your dog with the flavor of a tasty banana treat he or she will love
- EASY TO USE - For first time brushers, put a small amount of toothpaste on your finger and invite the dog to lick it off. Slowly progress to rubbing your finger along the gum line and teeth. For best results, brush 2-3 times per week
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR PRIORITY - If you have any questions or feedback, please contact us via email
- 100% SAFE - Infused with baking soda, this dental kit is suitable for all dogs and puppies and is a safe, gentle, and effective way to care for your dog's teeth
This dog toothpaste is derived from natural ingredients and enhanced with baking soda for powerful effervescent cleaning action. It is full of healthy enzymes to fight tartar which causes gum disease and tooth decay. Dogs love the tasty banana mint flavor, and it will take care of bad breath so you can keep enjoying those slobbery greetings.
It comes with a dual-sided toothbrush with a large and a small brush head so it can accommodate dogs of all sizes. The brush comfortably fits in your pet’s mouth and has been designed to reach those hidden areas. The package also features a flexible finger brush that you can slip on your finger for a thorough ergonomic brush that allows you to massage the teeth and gum line, effectively scrubbing away tartar and other grime. It also has a toothbrush cover that shields the toothbrush from dirt and bacteria when it’s not in use.
- Clear gel with a pleasant flavor that helps to keep your pet's teeth & gums clean & smelling fresh
- Easy to use; simply apply with a toothbrush or your finger - there's no need to brush or rinse away
- Our non-drying, brushless dental care is ideal for everyday use and doesn't cause excess salivation
- Free from xylitol, alcohol, detergents, and harsh chemicals for gentle and painless oral care
- 100% safe, non-toxic toothpaste gel works to support normal healthy oral hygiene in your dog or cat
It comes in the form of a clear gel toothpaste with a pleasant flavor, so you can expect no objection from your pooch. No brushing or rinsing is required when using this gel; you can choose between using a toothbrush or applying it to the pet’s gum with your finger. You don’t need to suffer the demanding task of keeping the dog still as you maneuver the toothbrush over its teeth and gums and then convince them to take water immediately after.
It will facilitate healthy gums, clean teeth, good oral health, and fresh breath. It has gentle, non-drying, and non-irritating ingredients and will not increase drooling like regular dental health products. These ingredients are sufficient to combat odor-causing germs and bacteria and prevent plaque buildup.
It uses two patented enzyme systems to complete the task. The MD2 system regulates pH levels inside your pet’s mouth to prevent germs and plaque, and the LP3 enzyme system with anti-inflammatory properties that enhances oral health without irritating healthy tissues.
- NON-STOP PROTECTION: Fights bad breath, tooth decay, tartar build-up, gum disease, and plaque.
- CLEANS & REFRESHENS: Improve oral hygiene and restore the luster of your pet’s teeth with this powerful cleaning solution. Watch them smile because your pet will be showing off those pearly whites in no time.
- GREAT TASTE: Our beef flavored toothpaste doesn’t just clean teeth and freshens the breath, it also tastes great! A wonderful cleaner for both dogs & cats.
- EASY TO USE: Now you can be your pet’s personal dentist with our veterinarian-approved toothpaste set. Use the included toothbrushes to apply it directly onto their teeth, gum, and tongue to support your pet’s oral hygiene and cleanliness in between the annual cleanings provided by your vet.
- PACK OF 2: Features two (2) 14-ounce tubes of toothpaste, one (1) dual-headed toothbrush, and one (1) fingertip toothbrush.
This paste comes with healthy ingredients capable of fixing even sensitive gums. Besides maintaining gum health, it promotes strong teeth and leaves the dog with long-lasting fresh breath. It can also fight tooth decay and tartar buildup. The powerful cleaning solution will restore the luster to your pet’s teeth.
The beef flavor is a treat for the pups, and they will be looking forward to the daily ritual. It is much easier to brush your dog’s teeth when they enjoy the experience. It is easy to use, and the package even comes with a gentle dual-headed toothbrush and a fingertip toothbrush with which you can apply it to their teeth, gum, and tongues.
- ELIMINATES BAD DOG BREATH - Gently and effectively eliminates bad breath, reduces tartar buildup, and whitens and brightens your dog's teeth
- MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Formulated with natural ingredients that work as a dog breath freshener leaving a pleasant mint scent to fight bad dog breath
- SOOTHES GUMS - The herbs in this natural dog toothpaste help sooth sensitive and inflamed gums while promoting overall gum and oral dental health for your dog
- 100% SAFE - Infused with baking soda, this enzymatic gel is suitable for all dogs and puppies and is a safe, gentle, and effective way to care for your dog's teeth
- ENJOY YOUR DOG'S KISSES — Enjoy your dog's kisses, without the stinky dog breath!
Its baking soda enhanced formula provides a natural yet powerful effervescent cleaning action. You avoid tartar buildup, and the teeth can retain their whiteness if you use this toothpaste consistently. It gently eliminates bad breath and leaves a fresh mint scent to replace any residual odors.
The special formula also incorporates natural healing and anti-inflammatory herbs like goldenseal, myrrh, calendula, aloe vera, flaxseed oil, and omega-3’s which are good at soothing sensitive and inflamed gums and preventing aggravation.
Its chicken flavor will endear it to your pup easily, transforming the exercise into a mutually fulfilling activity for both of you.
- Complete kit to start a program of regular oral hygiene for pets
- Dual-sided toothbrush designed specifically for both mouths of large and small tooth surfaces
- Long handle with reverse angle allows for easy use and soft bristles for comfortable brushing
- Fingerbrush slips over finger for ease of use
- Great tasting poultry-flavored toothpaste
Virbac CET enzymatic toothpaste loosens and removes plaque from tooth surfaces, eliminating tooth decay, foul breath, gum diseases, and improving the overall dental health of your pup. It has been infused with poultry flavor to make it easy for your dog to embrace it.
The package includes a dual-sided toothbrush that adapts for large-mouthed and small-mouthed canines. It has a long handle, and you can use it with a reverse angle which allows you to reach intricate regions of the dog’s mouth. It also comes with a finger brush that easily slips over your fingers so you can gently massage the teeth and gums. The soft bristles on these brushes ensure you will not cause injury to your canine best friend.
- Vet-recommended dog dental kit naturally promotes healthy teeth and gums
- Adult dog toothbrush has an angled neck for better reach
- 2.5 ounce bottle features Denta-C that's scientifically proven to help reduce plaque that harbors bacteria
- Dog finger brush gently slips over finger to remove plaque and food debris
- Dog oral kit made in the USA
This pet toothpaste contains Nylabone’s secret weapon, Denta-C. This scientifically formulated blend of ingredients, including Vitamin C, is clinically proven to reduce plaque that harbors bacteria and sodium hexametaphosphate, a natural detergent that is safe for consumption. The combination prevents plaque and tartar buildup, which causes bad breath, gum infection, tooth decay, and a host of other oral complications. This leaves your pup with healthy teeth and gums.
It has a natural peanut flavor that your pup will enjoy, and no rinsing is required after brushing.
The vet-recommended dog dental kit also contains a toothbrush with soft rubber bristles that have been angled so they can easily reach all crevices of the dog’s mouth. It also has a finger brush for added control when removing plaque and food debris.
- Quality Designed, Safety Ensured Products
- Promote a healthy active lifestyle for your pet
- Promotes good dental hygiene
- Non-foaming formula
- Great tasting chicken flavor
Nutri-Vet has specially formulated this flavored toothpaste for dogs with natural enzymes that prevent plaque and tartar formation, polish dog teeth, and freshen their breath. Your pooch is safe from gum irritation and tooth loss if you maintain a regular regimen of using this product. Brushing using this toothpaste also helps to loosen and remove food debris, so the dog is more comfortable.
It has a savory chicken flavor that dogs will enjoy and because it is also non-foaming, you don’t need to rinse it off or worry about the dog swallowing it.
- DOG TOOTHPASTE: Petrodex Advanced Dental Care Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste helps reduce plaque and tartar formation.
- PATENTED ENZYMES: With patented enzymes, this non-foaming formula of dog toothpaste does not require rinsing.
- FIGHTS BAD BREATH: With regular use, Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs helps reduce plaque and fights bad breath.
- POULTRY FLAVOR: Dog toothpaste comes in a delicious poultry flavor that dogs love
- RECOMMENDED USE: For best results, brush using enzymatic toothpaste for dogs at least 2-3 times per week. Use a soft-bristled Petrodex toothbrush designed for pets.
Sentry Petrodex enzymatic toothpaste targets bad breath at its source while removing food debris. It polishes and whitens your puppy’s teeth simultaneously, thanks to the special enzymatic formula, which is gentle on the canine yet effective against plaque and tartar. The non-foaming formula means you do not need to rinse after brushing. It comes with a delicious poultry flavor which dogs find irresistible.
Introducing Oral Hygiene to Your Pup
A good number of dogs will resist it initially, but if you introduce the activity gradually, make it consistent and work with different flavors to find one the dog likes, they will eventually come around. You can convert the experience from a chore to an enjoyable bonding session for both you and your fur baby.
Old dogs give you a hard time learning new things, so expect objections if you take too long to introduce the routine. If you start it while the pup is young, they’re too little to offer much resistance, and you can make them think of it as a game or treat.
Although there is no fixed age, you can begin toothbrush training when the dog is as young as 6 weeks. They typically have their baby teeth visible by 8 weeks, and you can use these to train them.
Some argue that this is not necessary until the pups lose their baby teeth and get their permanent adult teeth, usually at 4 to 6 months. But we established that old dogs learn new tricks with more difficulties, so the earlier the better. The foul breath, plaque, and bacteria buildup will also not wait for permanent teeth, and it is good for the permanent teeth to start with an existing dental hygiene routine.
Follow these steps to introduce tooth brushing to your dog:
- Offer small amounts of toothpaste to the dog the same way you would offer a treat, so they get accustomed to the taste. (You can keep switching the toothpaste initially until you determine which one is their favorite)
- Gently rub their teeth and gum in a circular motion with your fingers as you apply the toothpaste to allow the pooch to get used to the feeling. It helps if they see it as a game or bonding ritual.
- Gently pull the dog’s lips and cheeks up and introduce the toothbrush or finger brush with a bit of the toothpaste on it, allowing the dog to taste the now-familiar toothpaste.
- Start with two teeth and the adjoining gum line, rubbing gently with a back and forth motion until the dog is accustomed to the feel of the brush.
- Gradually increase the number of teeth, working your way to the rear teeth where most plaque and tartar accumulate.
- Be slow and gentle, as the dog will be confused if you get over-excited and harm them in the process. It needs to be seen as a fun activity.
- Keep giving a lot of praise throughout the process to make the dog feel appreciated and believe you are offering a treat.
- Choose a convenient time so that you can make it a ritual. Dogs are much easier to manage if you establish a routine. It is also easier to sell the brushing experience as a treat this way.
Periodontal diseases take such a toll on your furry friend, more than enough to warrant the daily discomfort of regular brushing. You can avoid all of the symptoms, including bad breath, bleeding gums, crust around the gum line, tooth loss, change in eating and chewing habits, pain while eating, pawing at the mouth, excessive drooling, and overall subdued behavior, without incurring extra expenses.
Your next step is to go for professional cleaning services which use advanced methods like ultrasonic scaling, regulated fluoride treatment, polishing, and sometimes antibiotics. These are more expensive but are worth it for the pet’s health.
Some of the bacteria carried in dog saliva are zoonotic, meaning they can be passed on to the dog’s human parent and cause serious diseases like measles. Regular brushing is therefore critical for both animal and human safety.