Do you have an excitable dog that often ends up with a dirty coat after a play in the park? or maybe you are looking for a quick alternative to regular baths that will leave your dog feeling fresh and deodorized? A waterless dog shampoo provides a quick and easy alternative and is particularly handy if your dog is scared of water as this reduces the regularity in which they need to be bathed.
It is important to select a waterless dog shampoo that is going to work with your dog’s coat and skin without causing any adverse effects or irritations. A waterless dog shampoo should be soothing while working to clean and freshen your dog’s coat. We have reviewed our top five picks below, and you will also find a handy buyer guide containing all of our top tips for choosing the best waterless shampoo for your canine friend.
Are you in a hurry? If so, we have selected our top pick for you below.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
Best Waterless Shampoos for Dogs – Comparison Table
Best Waterless Shampoos for Dogs – Reviews
If you are looking for a product that is going to clean, condition, detangle, and moisturize your dog’s coat, the Wahl no-rinse waterless shampoo could be the perfect choice for your four-legged friend. As a product that is made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your purchase and the oatmeal and coconut lime verbena are great for working to moisturize and clean your pet’s coat. Both ingredients are pH balanced, alcohol-free, paraben-free, and PEG-80 free.
The oatmeal is particularly soothing and works to moisturize your dog’s dry or itchy skin. It is also a safe option for dogs who require a product that is going to help with allergies, cleansing their skin without causing any irritations.
Conveniently, this product doesn’t require any rinsing after application. After spraying a layer onto your dog’s coat you simply need to wipe it down with a towel before brushing it through ensuring that any excess product is absorbed.
- The pump bottle design dispenses the foam product making it easy to use and only disperses the amount that is needed.
- Retailing at a low price, this is an affordable product for pet owners on a budget.
- The ingredients used are pet friendly and suitable for dogs with allergies too.
- A little goes a long way, a few pumps are likely to clean your dog’s coat sufficiently.
- With a pleasant scent, your dog’s coat will be left smelling fresh following application.
- This product is a little tacky with a greasy texture that can make application a little bit of a messy process.
Does your dog have sensitive skin requiring the use of a waterless shampoo with a mild formulation? The Pawchoice waterless dog shampoo is made with a natural coconut formula that doesn’t include any harsh chemicals, making it an ideal option for dogs that have sensitive skin which is easily irritated.
A convenient option that is ideal for use in between baths or when your dog’s coat simply requires freshening up but you don’t have the time to bath them regularly. Ideal for traveling, or for use on senior dogs and dogs who dislike water and don’t enjoy being bathed regularly.
The ingredients used to create the formulation do not include any harsh chemicals, no alcohol, no sulfates, and no parabens making it safe for use on your pet.
Not only is this spray bottle more of an economically beneficial option, lasting a long time and saving you having to spend as much as you would if you were using wipes in between washes, but it is also more environmentally friendly. This is because the spray is going to last for many more uses than a wipe which will be disposed of after one use.
- Made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your purchase.
- Backed with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, if you are dissatisfied with the product that you receive there is help available.
- Courtesy of the natural formulation this is a good choice for dogs who have sensitive skin and require a milder product that isn’t going to cause any irritations.
- With a pleasant scent, your dog will be smelling fresh in no time.
- Impressively, you only require a small amount of product for each use so it is likely to last for a long time.
- Unfortunately, the formula has a tacky consistency which is prone to leaving your dog’s coat with a sticky feel.
The Bodhi Dog waterless shampoo provides a convenient and effective way of cleaning your dog when you don’t have the time to give them a proper bath. This waterless shampoo has a spray top bottle which allows for efficient and direct application to your dog’s coat.
Not only does this natural shampoo get rid of any nasty or unpleasant smells it also works very well as a detangler which is ideal for dogs with coats that are prone to knotting and difficult to brush through.
If your pet has allergies or sensitive skin that is prone to irritations, the Bodhi waterless shampoo is an ideal choice. The formula is 100% detergent-free, alcohol-free, and non-toxic. It also doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates, or alcohol that can be harsh and harmful on your dog’s skin.
With a light lavender aroma, your pet will be spelling fresh for days after application. This is the perfect option for a quick freshen up in between baths and is ideal for dogs who do not like being bathed.
Impressively, this product has been created following ethical and sustainable principles. Made in the USA each of the ingredients are locally and sustainably sourced. There also aren’t any animals harmed in the process of creating this formula and it is packaged using environmentally friendly materials too.
- As an 8oz bottle, it is likely to last for a while before requiring replacement.
- There are three different scents available. If lavender doesn’t appeal to you there is a lemongrass or oatmeal alternative available.
- Impressively, this product is the winner of the 2020 Family Choice awards so you can be confident in the quality of your purchase.
- Not only does this product work well as a waterless shampoo, but it can also be used to freshen up bedding and car interiors or simply where you feel there is a presence of any dog odors.
- Made using natural ingredients it is intended to be suitable for most dogs, even those that suffer from allergies.
- Following application, the scent does not have a long-lasting presence.
The Biosilk waterless shampoo for dogs works to provide deep moisture for improved freshness and appearance to their coat. Whilst this product is great for providing moisture and nourishment with the suitability for use on all dogs, it is recommended for dogs that have dry or itchy skin in particular.
The bottle is designed with a spray top that allows for easy application to your pet’s coat. Simply spray this onto your dog’s coat either as a freshen up in between baths or to target a specific dirty area of their coat.
Made using natural moisturizing ingredients this product is 100% safe for use on your pet’s coat. It doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates, and is PH balanced. It is also going to be safe if it should come into contact with your skin too.
Impressively, this product is suitable for most dogs and can even be used on puppies as young as 8 weeks old. A convenient way of cleaning your young pup when they are in the excitable stage of exploring and getting dirty quickly, saving you having to bath them so much.
- Retailing within a lower price range, this is a great pick for individuals who have a lower budget in mind.
- Designed with a spray bottle applicator, the formula is easy to apply directly onto your dog’s coat.
- Impressively, this product works to protect your pet’s coat against the heat while moisturizing and nourishing for a perfect shine.
- Made in the USA, you can trust the source of your product.
- With a pleasant scent, this product is going to be much more bearable after application.
- Unfortunately, after application, this product is prone to leaving a greasy texture on your pet’s coat.
Made with apple and honey, this waterless dog shampoo by Burt’s Bees works to soothe and cleanse your pet’s coat. An ideal product for use in between baths or when your pet requires a little freshen up.
Containing all-natural ingredients, the formula works to nourish the skin thanks to the apple ingredients while the honey leaves the coat with an impressive shine. This product has also been recommended by vets due to the fragrance-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, colorant-free, petroleum-free, and harsh chemical-free formulation. The mild, PH balanced formula makes this an ideal choice for use on dogs and puppies alike.
Application is easy thanks to the spray bottle which allows you to apply the product directly onto your pets for or in specific dirty patches. When it comes to applying the product to your pet’s face it is recommended to apply a small amount to a towel first as this allows for the safest application without harming their eyes.
- Coming in a 10oz bottle this product is going to last for a long time so you don’t have to make frequent purchases.
- Usefully, this product can be bought individually or as a 2 or 3 pack purchase so you have a choice to suit your requirements.
- Retailing within a low price range, this is an affordable waterless shampoo.
- The combination of honey and apple nourishes the coat while leaving it with a shiny appearance.
- Impressively, this product has been responsibly sourced and hasn’t been tested on animals.
- As stated this product is unscented so it isn’t going to leave your pet with a refreshing aroma after use.
Best Waterless Shampoos for Dogs – Buyers Guide
When buying a product that is going to be used on your pet’s coat it is important to select the one that isn’t going to cause any irritations or reactions. You also want to select a waterless shampoo that is going to leave your dog’s coat with an improved and fresher appearance.
We have listed some of these criteria for you below.
Paying close attention to the ingredients and contents of the formula is crucial to ensure that you select the best product that is suitable for your dog’s fur type. Most products that we found were recommended for the majority of dog types. However, if you have a dog with allergies or sensitive skin it is important to select a product with a natural formulation that is paraben and sulfate-free and doesn’t include any harmful ingredients. This will reduce the likeliness of your dog experiencing any irritations or adverse reactions to the product. Remember that your skin may come into contact with the product too so it is important to ensure that you aren’t allergic to any of the ingredients either.
Of course, the scent of the waterless shampoo is super important. The point of using this product is to freshen up your dog’s coat in between baths while acting as a deodorant too. You may develop different preferences regarding the scent of a waterless shampoo as some can be more overpowering than others. There are few available that are unscented as in many ways this defeats the purpose of a waterless shampoo, while it is going to clean your pets coat effectively, it isn’t going to leave them with a different or fresher smell.
Some scents last longer than others, with some products you may find the initial scent to be a little overwhelming although it is likely to calm down once it has absorbed into your dog’s coat. Others may have a calmer scent which more individuals find more bearable.
The Bottle Application
Some bottles will come with push pump applicators and others will come with spray applicators. Both work effectively in their own ways. A push pump is commonly used for foam-based formulas and this allows you to dispense the specific amount of product that you need. On the other hand, a spray bottle allows you to directly spray the product onto your pet’s coat, or you can apply it to specific dirty areas that need cleaning.
The Benefits of using a waterless dog shampoo
There are several benefits associated with using a waterless dog shampoo. Dogs that have a fear of water, in particular, are likely to benefit from the use of this product, whilst they should not be used to replace regular baths all together they can help to reduce the frequency that they require a bath. They are also good for younger dogs who are currently in their excitable phase and are coming into lots of contact with mud which makes it easier for you to keep them clean without having to bathe them every time that they get dirty.
Older dogs are also to benefit from this product. Once our dogs reach older ages they sometimes find it difficult being hoisted in and out of the bath. However, a waterless shampoo creates a hassle-free process for both you and your pet, allowing you to maintain a fresh dog without them having to be bathed regularly. Dogs who are prone to becoming smelly relatively quickly are also likely to benefit from this product because it provides an efficient way of deodorizing and keeping your dog fresh in between their baths.
The size of the bottle
A small amount of this product typically tends to go a long way. Often you will only require a few sprays and this will provide you with a sufficient amount of product to work into your pet’s coat. The most common sized bottles tend to be 8oz or 10oz. These also allow for convenient portability if you are likely to require this product for traveling purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is waterless Shampoo good for dogs?
A waterless Shampoo is an excellent way of maintaining your dog’s appearance in between baths and trips to the groomers. They come in particularly handy if you find yourself in an emergency and are looking for a quick way to clean your dog without having to spend the time bathing them. Opting for a waterless shampoo is also a great alternative for dogs who have a fear of water as it is likely to reduce the number of times that they are bathed regularly.
Does waterless dog shampoo work?
Yes, waterless shampoo does work as long as you use a product that is specifically intended for use on dogs and not humans. While it may not provide as thorough a clean as giving your dog a proper bath they do work well at cleaning their coats in between washes while helping to protect their skin and coat.