A dog ramp is a perfect product for larger dogs, older dogs, or those with joint and medical issues that find the jump from the floor to your vehicle a little too challenging. Simply attaching a dog ramp to your vehicle helps to ensure that they are securely in your vehicle before you set off on your journey.
Of course, it is crucial to ensure that you select the ramp that caters to the needs of your animal and vehicle. We have browsed the market selecting our top five picks of the best dog ramps available that are suitable for SUVs. Below, you will also find a handy buyer’s guide containing all of our top tips for choosing the best product.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top pick for you below.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp - 72 Inch, Portable, Lightweight, Aluminum Dog and Cat Ramp - Carrying Case Available
- CONTINUE ADVENTURES TOGETHER: Use the telescoping ramp to help your best friend get in and out of your car, minivan or SUV all by themselves to improve road trips together
- ADJUSTABLE SIZING: The adjustable telescoping ramp allows you to help your pet get in and out of different size vehicles; ramp measures 39-72 inches L X 17 inch W X 4 inch H
- SAFETY TESTED & DURABLE: This strong ramp is independently tested and rated to support pets up to 400 lb
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing only 13 pounds the ramp is easy to carry and lift in and out of the car between stops
- NO SLIPPING: High-traction surface and side rails keep your furry friend from slipping or falling when walking on the ramp
Best Dog Ramps for SUV – Comparison Table
Best Dog Ramps for SUV – Reviews
The Petsafe Solvit Deluxe telescoping dog ramp helps your pet to get in and out of your SUV with ease, a great way in helping you to enjoy many adventures together. With a long walking platform, it is suitable for a range of uses including accessing higher elevated beds and stairs.
As an adjustable dog ramp, when left in its original size it measures 39” x 17” x 4”, however when fully extended the ramp reaches an impressive 72” being one of the longest walking ramps that you are likely to find on the market. This also caters to the heights of different SUVs and the elevation in which your dog is comfortable walking up.
Catering to a range of different dogs this ramp can support a maximum weight of 400ibs and has been tested to ensure that it is safe in doing so. Designed with a high traction surface, your dog can maintain a secure grip without the risk of slipping and the durable aluminum frame with sides ensures that they aren’t going to fall off the ramp.
When it comes to lifting the ramp on and off your SUV it is a relatively easy process. Weighing only 13 pounds itself it is lightweight and easy enough to lift on and off your vehicle. Impressively, this ramp can also lock into a more compact size which makes it much easier to store inside your vehicle when it isn’t being used.
- Courtesy of the telescopic design, this ramp can extend from 39” to 72” in length.
- The surface of the ramp allows for easy cleaning and disinfecting following use.
- Folding into a more compact size, this ramp is easy to store inside your vehicle for the duration of your journey.
- Constructed using aluminum this is a strong and durable ramp that is likely to see you through many uses.
- With a non-slip surface, your dog will be able to travel up and down the ramp with ease.
- As there isn’t a way of attaching this to your SUV as your dog walks up it you will need to be cautious of possible movement in the process.
With a SupertraX surface, the PetGear Travel Lite ramp provides a comfortable surface for your dog to walk along as they make their way in and out of your SUV.
Measuring 66” x 16” x 4”, this is a decent sized ramp that is likely to be compatible with most SUVs. However, if necessary, this ramp is also available in larger sizes effectively catering to the requirements of different vehicles.
This ramp is intended for smaller dogs with a maximum weight capacity of 150ibs. Made with a soft supertraX surface, the pressure activated qualities mean that your dog will get a firmer grip when they place a greater amount of pressure onto the surface. Impressively, this can also be moved for easy cleaning after use. With slightly raised sides, there is a reduced risk of your dog falling from the side of the ramp when making their way into the vehicle.
Weighing only 13ibs itself, this ramp is easy to lift on and off the back of your vehicle and can easily be folded when not in use for convenient and compact storage. The built-in handle also makes it much easier to carry to and from your vehicle.
- Retailing within a relatively affordable price range, this is a great choice for pet owners on a budget.
- The SupertraX surface allows your dog to get a firmer grip as they walk up the ramp.
- Compactly designed this ramp is easy to store in between uses.
- Durably and sturdily designed, this ramp is going to effectively withstand daily use.
- Thanks to the removable surface, this ramp can be easily cleaned after use.
- This ramp may shake when your dog is making its way into the vehicle which may be off-putting for them.
Despite being a slightly weightier ramp, the Gen7Pets natural dog ramp offers a comfortable way of getting your dog in and out of your SUV, particularly handy if you have an aging dog that struggles with this task.
As a larger ramp, when open it measures 72” x 16” x 1.5” and when folded it measures 36” x 16” x 3”, making it a perfect choice for your SUV.
Impressively, this ramp caters to a range of different dogs with a maximum weight capacity of 250 lbs. With a polygrass surface, your dog can get a firm and secure grip as they make their way in and out of your vehicle. It also provides sufficient padding to ensure that your dog’s paws don’t get scratched in the process. Thanks to the small frame surrounding the ramp, there is less chance of your dog slipping off the ramp as they walk up it.
The ramp itself weighs 17ibs which is slightly heavier when compared to our previous picks, however, it is robustly built to provide a secure platform for your dog. With a folding design, this ramp is easy to store in between uses and it also features a lock that secures it shut preventing the risk of it unfolding.
- With a weight capacity of 250ibs, this ramp is suitable for a range of dogs.
- Measuring 72” when fully extended, this is a lengthy surface that is ideal for use with an SUV.
- The surface of the ramp ensures that your dog isn’t going to slip when walking up it.
- Courtesy of its robust design, this ramp is going to withstand frequent use effectively.
- As a folding ramp with a handle, it is easy to carry to your vehicle and store when it’s not in use.
- This ramp is a little narrow which may be off-putting for dogs who are wary of these ramps.
The PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp has been designed with a unique non-slip surface that allows your pet to walk up and down it comfortably. Suitable for a range of vehicles, including SUVs, you and your dog can enjoy many journeys together.
When open this ramp measures 70” x 17” x 2.5” and when folded it measures 36” x 17” x 5.75”. With a lengthy surface for your dog to walk along it is ideal for use in an SUV.
Catering to dogs in a range of sizes, this ramp can support a maximum weight of 500ibs. With a non-slip rubber surface, your dog can walk up and down this ramp with ease and the traction allows them to maintain a secure grip on the ramp regardless of the weather conditions. Designed with a universal non-slip grip at the top of the ramp, it can be secured to the back of your vehicle when the dog is using the ramp. The slightly raised sides also ensure that your dog can use the ramp safely with a reduced risk of them falling out in the process. Thanks to its unique design, this ramp isn’t likely to rust or corrode and can be easily cleaned following use.
For some, this ramp may be a little heavy weighing a total of 18.5 lbs, however, it can easily be folded in half when not in use for convenient and compact storage. Both sides of the ramps feature ergonomic cut out handles too which makes it much easier to move to and from your vehicle.
- Backed with a five-year warranty, you can be assured that there is help available should you have any concerns with your purchase.
- Impressively, due to its sturdy construction, this ramp can support dogs weighing up to 500ibs.
- With a universal non-slip grip this ramp can be secured to your vehicle when in use providing a more stable surface for your dog to walk up.
- Your dog is provided with superior traction even when the ramp is used in rain.
- This is an ideal ramp for elderly dogs or those suffering from leg and joint issues.
- Weighing 18.5ibs, this ramp may be a little difficult to lift to and from your SUV.
If you enjoy traveling with your dog but need an easy way to get them in and out of your SUV this dog ramp could be a great choice. It is likely to come in particularly handy if you have an elderly dog or one that has issues with their joints or legs, providing an easy way to get them in and out of your vehicle.
When this ramp is folded, it measures 31” x 16” x 8” but when opened it measures 62” x 15” x 5.5” and is recommended to be used at a flatter angle to minimize the risk of the ramp becoming wet or slippery in bad weather.
This ramp is suitable for dogs weighing up to 150ibs and is constructed using heavy-duty plastic which provides a stable and robust surface for your dog to walk up and down on. Courtesy of the ridged surface, your dog is provided with superior traction and the non-slip elements allow them to maintain a secure grip even when using the ramp in the rain. With four rubber feet placed on the ramp, it will remain in a secure and stable position when it is in use by your pet. The raised edges also ensure that your dog isn’t going to fall from the sides of the ramp.
When it comes to storage, this ramp has been designed with convenience in mind. After the ramp has been used it can be folded in half and secured with a latch that prevents it from accidentally opening. It also features handles that make it easier to pick up in between uses.
- Retailing within an affordable price range this provides a great alternative to the more expensive competitors.
- This ramp is likely to last for a decent amount of time thanks to its sturdy and heavy-duty design.
- With a rigid surface, your dog can get a secure grip as they make their way up and down the ramp.
- Weighing 10ibs, this ramp is easy to pick up in between uses.
- With rubber feet along the bottom of the ramp, it effectively remains in a stable position.
- The ramp is a little steep which may be off-putting for dogs who are nervous of heights and ramps.
Best Dog Ramps for SUV – Buyers Guide
When buying a dog ramp for your SUV there are several factors that you will need to consider to ensure that you select the best product that is suitable for your animal and your vehicle. Of course, there are many factors to consider in terms of convenience, however, the ramp needs to have a comfortable walking surface for your dog too.
The surface of the dog ramp can vary between the brands, however, all should be non-slip as this allows your dog to gain a secure grip on the ramp as they make their way in and out of your vehicle. They should all provide superior traction regardless of the weather as this ensures that your dog can make their way safely in and out of your vehicle. The grippier the surface the better as this reduces the likeliness of your dog slipping or getting injured when the ramp is in use.
The Length of the Ramp
The length of the ramp is a very important factor as you don’t want to select one that is too long or too short for your vehicle and needs. A shorter ramp is likely to create a steeper incline for your dog to travel up which is likely to be off-putting for dogs that are wary of heights and ramps. On the other hand, you may find a longer ramp more difficult to store when it isn’t in use. It is important to select a ramp that fits well with your vehicle while ensuring that your pet is comfortable with walking up and down it.
Ideally, your dog ramp should be made using heavy-duty materials as this ensures that it isn’t going to become damaged even when it is used regularly. Those made from rubber, aluminum, or heavy-duty plastic are also going to provide a more substantial and robust surface that supports your dog as they walk up and down the ramp.
It is important to select a ramp that is intended for the weight of your dog. If you buy a ramp that is intended for lighter dogs than yours, then it is unlikely to offer the support that is needed for them to walk up and down the ramp safely.
Storing the Ramp
Storing a fully extended ramp is of course going to be a little difficult, hence why almost all ramps are foldable. This makes them much easier to store when they are not in use and by folding them down after they have been used they can be placed in the back of your vehicle consuming a small amount of room. Some ramps will be lighter than others and you may find these easier to lift on and off your vehicle in comparison to those that are a little heavier.
If you enjoy taking your dog on regular journeys in your SUV, selecting a ramp that is durably designed and intended for your dog is going to be beneficial. This ensures that the ramp is going to last for a decent amount of time without getting damaged or deteriorating in quality after frequent uses.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my dog used to a ramp?
For some dogs, a ramp may be an unfamiliar object that they are a little hesitant about approaching and so it is worth building up their confidence with a dog ramp before expecting them to climb up it. During the initial training/ familiarisation phase it is a good idea to place the ramp in a flat position on the floor, encouraging them to approach the ramp and place one paw on before rewarding them with a treat. Then when they have two paws on the ramp, reward them with another treat, and gradually their confidence is going to build and they will be able to make their way along the ramp. If you’re unsure how your dog will react when the ramp is placed at an angle maybe do this in steps building it up over a small time frame.
Is a ramp or stairs better for dogs?
A ramp is better for senior dogs or dogs with joint alignment issues who are likely to find climbing some stairs challenging. With a flat surface, a dog ramp makes this process a little easier and reduces the number of times that they are leaping or jumping up some stairs.