Your Complete Guide to Puppy Potty Training
The joys of owning a puppy are endless, but parenting a poorly behaved pooch can spoil the party. If you are a new dog owner, figuring out when or how to start potty training your pup is no picnic. Owning a pup is not all about games of fetch and cuddles- they need to learn stuff like using a potty. When you buy or adopt a puppy, they don’t come with instructions. It is your responsibility to train your puppy how to live as fast as possible. Finding the right potty training for your bundle of playful fur and fuzz is the first step, and that’s what this post is all about. We’ll cover when to start potty training, how to do it correctly and how to address possible challenges. Potty training involves 3 main stages: learning where to potty, self-control and independent toileting. We will cover the 3 stages comprehensively later in this post.
Potty Training Puppies – Why Is It Necessary?
Before we jump in on how to potty train a puppy, it is imperative that we understand if it is indeed essential to have a well-thought-out potty training process or whether pups can naturally potty train themselves. Puppies relieve themselves more frequently as they have little control over their tiny bladders and digestive tracts. This means that housetraining them is no easy task. They are also clueless of the right and wrong place to relieve themselves. To them indoors and outdoors is the same thing.
If you live in a small house with a big yard, your pup will tend to relieve themselves outside. This is because they see the yard as the furthest point away from where they sleep. But if you live in an apartment, things are different. You have no yard, and without proper training, your puppy will pee somewhere in your house. So if you don’t potty train your pup, they will develop a habit of relieving themselves in the house.
But look at it this way, a little training challenge today will save you time and energy cleaning later. The more effort you put in house training at the beginning, the better things will turn out for you and your pup. Potty training your puppy needs a lot of patience and consistency. You need to be patient with the process and consistent with your strategies. The good thing about potty training puppies is that they are easier to train than older dogs and the habit is more difficult to break.
When Do I Start Potty Training My Puppy?
According to WebMD, the best age to train your puppy is between 12-16 weeks when she has full control of her bowels and bladder. At this age, your puppy will pick up potty training without much difficulty as it is part of their natural programming. The beginning is always the toughest part but also the most important. As you will come to discover later, good things take time. The trick is to start potty training slowly and work your way up. You can begin puppy training your puppy right from day one as soon as their tiny paws start pattering around your living room. If the first place they pee is your kitchen, they will make a habit of peeing there. To avoid such accidents, it is vital you don’t let them make a habit of peeing in the wrong places. In the long run, they will know what is expected of them. With proper training, even the slowest pup will learn soon enough.
How Much Time Will I Need to Potty Train My Puppy?
Well, there is no definite answer to this question as it depends on several factors like your pup’s personality. Some breeds learn faster while others need more time to house train. The method you use to potty train also plays a significant role. Generally, crate training your puppy is faster, and you can finish the training in 4-6 months. By taking small but sure steps, from gradually introducing your pup to the crate, she will learn to love the process, and you will soon both enjoy the results.
Benefits of Potty Training Your Puppy
There are many perks associated with potty training. Your puppy will:
- Not relieve themselves inside your car.
- Get a place they feel secure and comfortable.
- Learn to pee and poop in appropriate places.
- Be able to visit houses of your neighbors and friends.
- Be safe when you are not available to supervise them.
- Be trusted to have a good time with you indoors.
- Not relieve them on the floor when you visit the convenience store.
How to Potty Train Your Puppy
Indoors potty training is gaining popularity first, and understandably so. Dogs are free creatures that enjoy the stimulation of the outdoors but times have changed, and these days they spend more time indoors. There’s no magic tutorial to potty train your puppy. You have to create the right environment and follow the proper procedures. One of the most effective ways potty training methods is to utilize an enclosed space and cover the area with thick puppy pads. Other materials you require may include a leash, treats, a crate, waste bags and an enzymatic cleaner.
Establishing the toilet area is the first stage to potty training. By restricting your puppy to a selected area of your home, they will learn about the right place to relieve themselves. Ensure that the enclosed space keeps the pup contained without making her feel shut away.
Next, you should mark the occasions after which your pup needs to pee or poop. Such times can include immediately after eating, playing and waking. Supervise your pup every day. The question many new dog owners ask themselves is, “How do I know when my pup’s bladder is full?” Well, there is no direct answer to that question. Observation matters a lot here. If your puppy needs to use the bathroom every one hour, then his bladder will be full again if her last pee was 50 minutes ago. If you’re busy, it is easy to forget. To avoid this, you can use your phone’s alarm to remind yourself of the intervals. Soon enough, you will sync with your pup’s natural rhythms which means progress.
If you decide to use a crate to potty train your puppy, it is vital that you use it correctly. Don’t use it as a form of punishment but instead, make your pup view as a haven. Besides soft bedding, also remember to include toys and clean water. You should ensure that the crate is big and comfortable enough. If you put extra effort and positive reinforcement in the first few days, your puppy will catch up quickly and she’ll have no problems emptying herself when taken there. A little reward or treat when your pup displays her newly-learned potty skills will help fasten the process. A good trick is rewarding your puppy immediately after eliminating, so she attaches her reward with her action. Use a specific phrase or word as a command to remind your puppy of what she’s supposed to do.
The next stage is all about teaching your puppy self-control. It’s essential that your pooch learns to wait for a few minutes before relieving herself when her bladder starts to feel full. Teach your pup to visit the toilet area frequently to avoid relieving herself in the wrong places. Accidents are bound to happen during this stage. Don’t use an angry tone if this happens. Doing this will only make them afraid of you when they need to take a leak. Most pups will be able to last up to an hour, and you will be required to be more vigilant. Different dogs have different signals. Common signs to look out for include barking, squatting, restlessness, sniffing around, and circling. When accidents happen, don’t worry, they’re completely
Congratulations, you have successfully pad trained your pup!
When you welcome a new member into the family, potty training won’t be the first thing that crosses your mind. You might get caught up in the excitement and throw the usual routine out of the window. It is, however, crucial that you resume your normal life ASAP. Use the complete puppy potty training guide above as a blueprint to house train your puppy easily today!
- PET TRAINING: Perfect for owners that work long hours or live in apartments, and want to potty train their pets. This bathroom mat uncomplicates the process by offering a spot for your pets to relieve themselves indoors.
- THREE LAYER SYSTEM: This pet pad encompasses a three-layer system that makes clean up effortless. The odor resistant, antimicrobial mat sits on top of the plastic insert that locks in, and allows liquid to drain into the durable collection tray.
- EASY CLEAN-UP: Cleaning the pet bathroom mat is quick and easy. Clean-up consists only of rinsing the three layers with soapy water;Perfect for patios
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Materials: Synthetic Plastic (Grass Mat) and Hard Plastic (Tray and Insert). Dimensions: 20" x 25" x 1.25".
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: PETMAKER is committed to providing consumers with the absolute best price and value on our products. NOTE: This is an exclusive product of PETMAKER and ONLY Indoor, Artificial Grass Bathrooms are guaranteed to be genuine.Hand wash with soap and water
- KEEPS PAWS DRY - high quality perforated grate will allow pee to flow directly below your pets feet into the training pad or newspaper underneath keeping your pets feet dry and clean. Forget the mop or wet vac!
- NO MORE TORN PUPPY PADS - easy snap on/off grate system will prevent teething puppies from getting to training pads or newspaper in the pee pad holder. You have to buy them a real chew toy now!
- SAVE MONEY ON PADS - since your puppies paws will be dry and they can't chew them up, you can use pads longer. You can even use old newspapers to save even more money! Your wallet will be happier!
- PROTECT FLOORS FROM ACCIDENTS - unprotected puppy pads can be tossed around or bunched up leaving your precious floors exposed to your puppies wrath. This training pad holder is on your floors #1 wish list!
- PERFECT FOR PUPPIES, SMALL BREEDS & CATS - this is perfect for brand new puppies that have to stay home until their vaccination rounds are done or small breed adult dogs. Also, its great for old cats that can't jump into their litter box anymore.
- Each pad measures 22x22 inches (LxW), with the center pad measuring 19x19 inches (LxW). The pad has a 1.5 inch plastic border on all sides to prevent overflow.
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
- Leak proof with plastic lining to prevent damage to floors
- Quick-dry surface with built-in attractant
- Regular size training pad is intended for puppies and small dogs only, medium-large sized dogs should use the AmazonBasics Pet Training Pads, Extra-Large
- High quality and nice sounding bells 7 Big Extra Loud Bells yet easy on your ears to attend to your pet's nature call wherever you are in the house. Tasteful design of silver coating of bells keep them shiny and jingle sounds are easy on your ears from the playful dogs
- Premium quality, high DURABILITY: This Dog Training Bells and its belts are custom made and tested thoroughly for its ruggedness. Belt is made from heavy duty nylon material that lasts longer than other cheaply made alternatives.
- HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED: Ergonomic and thoughtful design of the belt allows for easy adjustment of the length to the bottom of the door or wall based on the size of your dog or the height of your door.
- FREE Gift - To appreciate your purchase, we are offering a dog whistle FREE along with this product. Hope you like it. But please remember, your fullest satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not happy with the purchase for any reason, do let us know. We refund or offer an exchange to ensure you become part of Papikin family.
- Tired of cheap imitation bells? Tired of poor quality that cannot withstand the urge and pull of your dog? Look no further. Papikin specializes in Dog care products and are known for their unbeatable quality. Dog Training Bells are one of the easy and non-confrontational solutions to toilet train family's best friend. Using dog bells have is proven to be an easier, fun and a win-win way for your dog to communicate Instead of barking, scratching or it having to resort to more intrusive method
- Multiple applications may be needed for training purposes.
- Helps train puppies and dogs of all ages where to potty. Unique attractant scent will encourage dogs to urinate wherever the products is sprayed.
- For Indoor/Outdoor Use, great for outdoor areas, artificial grass and puppy pads.
- Ingredients: Deionized Water, Preservatives and Proprietary Attractant Scent.
- All NaturVet products are veterinarian formulated and manufactured in the USA in an FDA audited, cGMP compliant facility.
- An Easier, Better Way for your dog to communicate!! Instead of hearing barking & scratching, you hear the gentle jingle of Potty Bells! All dogs have to go potty and you can housebreak and teach them how to signal you when they have to gogo!! What's better than hearing the polite chime of our Potty Bells when your doggie needs to use the bathroom?
- 3 Simple Steps Training. Training is so easy - just read the reviews! Thousands of customers have had success training their dog to use Potty Bells. Many of them have success on the very first day - with little to no training!
- Hang Potty Bells from Any Doorknob or Handle. Our high quality doggie doorbell comes with a snap that makes it easy to use on any type of door handle! Small dogs, medium dogs, big dogs and large dogs all love excell with our dog bells!
- Extra Loud Bells Don't worry your dog won't have an accident because you couldn't hear the bells when they rang them. Potty Bells are the loudest metal dog doorbells available on the market today and ring loud and clear every time!
- 100% Lifetime Money Back Guarantee. Caldwell's Pet Supply Co. stand behind all of our products, so if you and your best friend aren't happy we will give you a full refund.
- Shirlee Kalstone
- Publisher: Bantam
- Edition no. 0 (08/03/2004)
- Paperback: 96 pages
- NATURAL LOOKING LUSHNESS... SavvyTurf has four realistic tones look like real grass; stands upright without filler
- FADE RESISTANT COLORS... UV, fire and corrosion resistant; withstands rain, sun, and wear and tear
- EASY CLEAN & LOW MAINTENANCE... drainage holes for fast hosing off doggy-do; no mowing, or growing
- EASY TO INSTALL TURF...a non-slip rubber back needs no tools, cut patch to size to fit your backyard
- KIDS, PETS & ECO-FRIENDLY... safe non-toxic, hard-wearing polyethylene & polypropylene, 1.2" high
- SAVES MONEY AND REDUCES WASTE VS DISPOSABLES - Not only more environmentally friendly than disposable pads, but also less expensive. Plus, no more dealing with the mess of disposables throughout the day!
- BEST ABSORPTION AND ODOR CONTROL - Absorbs and retains pee and odors better than any other dog pads for extended indoor stays, and prevents tracking to protect your floors and rugs and keep them dry.
- MULTI-USE - Our 30 x 36" pads are great for house-breaking and training puppies, protecting crates and carriers during transport, whelping, incontinence, sick / diabetic dogs, protecting furniture and rugs from pet fur and dirt, lining kennels and playpens, protecting surfaces post-surgery, placing under food bowls and litter boxes, and for travel with your puppy! Also great for adult and child bed wetting, mattress protector and cover.
- TOP QUALITY AND DURABILITY - rocket & rex extra-large pads have 4 super absorbent layers, including a waterproof backing, that will continue to perform wash after wash.
- DESIGNED IN THE US and 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Designed in California and responsibly made by a OEKO-TEX certified factory, meaning they don't contain nor are they produced using harmful substances or chemicals. If for any reason you're not 100% happy, we'll refund your purchase.
- DIMENSIONS: 26.5" x 17" x 1.5" LARGE
- EASY TO USE: Simply place the artificial grass pads on top of the grates and your pet is ready to "go."
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply wipe down, rinse off, or gently scrub with mild soap (or no soap).
- MAKE HOUSEBREAKING YOUR PET EASIER: Much easier to clean up than traditional potty pads.
- INCLUDES: 2 grass pads, draining grate, leakproof containing tray.