Best Training Collar for Stubborn Dogs of 2020
Stubborn dogs can be a real pain to train, but with the right tools it’s not impossible. One of the best training tools is the training collar, but of course, there are tons of options you can consider. To make things easier for you, we will take a look at the 5 best training collars for stubborn dogs.
Best Training Collar for Stubborn Dogs Reviews
Garmin Delta XC Bundle Dog Training Device
- LONG/SHORT CONTACTS : Includes long and short changeable/replaceable contact points ; Collar compatibility: 1.9 centimeter (0.75 inch)
- STIMULATION LEVELS : Improved stimulation levels; features 18 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation, plus tone and vibration
- RANGE : Gives 1/2 mile range capability to correct your dog’s behavior while out in the field
- TRAINING CONFIGS : 3 correction/training configurations for different behavioral issues; Train 1, 2 or 3 dogs, settable on the handheld (with purchase of additional dog devices)
- DURABILITY : Rugged, compact 3 button handheld controller and dog device with water rating of IPX71.Water rating: yes (IPX7)
This is a high-quality and somewhat costly dog training collar that should do the trick even for the stubbornest of dogs.
This collar is designed for trouble cases, as it comes with nearly 20 levels of stimulation. Yes, this is a shock collar, and it can be adjusted to give your dog just a very small shock or quite the zap as well. This is ideal for large dogs with thick fur that may not feel the smaller shocks.
In case you think that is a little much, this collar also allows for vibration and sound training, not just “stimulation.” Keep in mind that this item is not designed for small dogs.
We like how the Garmin Delta XC Bundle Dog Training Device is designed for durability, as all components are made with solid parts and are nearly 100% waterproof. What’s also nice is how the controller has a ½-mile range, plus a great battery life (80 hours per charge).
- Multiple correction modes
- Great for trouble cases
- Awesome battery life
- Good range
- Adjustable stimulation levels
- Quite expensive
- Batteries degrade rather quickly over time
SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer
- Designed for high-drive, more stubborn dogs by offering a higher static stimulation range than the sd-425x
- 500-Yard range e-collar that can support training 3 dogs with the same remote with purchase of additional collars (SDR-AS)
- Choose to train with vibration (Buzz), Tone (beep), or 21 levels of static simulation in either momentary (nick) or continuous.
- Waterproof and submersible to 25 feet using dryer technology
- Lithium Ion, rechargeable batteries feature a 2-hour quick charge, and a low battery indicator lets you know when to charge.Remote Transmitter with antenna - 5.30 inch L X 1.70 inch W X 1.00 inch D
Here we have a slightly more expensive collar than the one we just looked at, but it is also a bit more durable and has some increased functionality.
The SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer is designed for extreme trouble cases, as it has 21 levels of stimulation, with the highest level providing quite a zap. It’s ideal for dogs who won’t listen otherwise. What is also cool is that a single remote can control 3 separate collars.
This training collar has a range of 500 yards, plus both the collar and the controller take only 2 hours to charge, but can last for up to 70 hours on a single charge.
Moreover, the SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer is very durable, as it is highly impact-resistant, plus it is designed to be waterproof down to 25 feet. It also features a 1-year warranty in case something goes wrong with it.
Keep in mind that this collar is quite versatile in terms of size, as it can be adjusted to fit dogs with neck sizes between 5 and 22 inches.
- Very durable + waterproof
- For extreme trouble cases
- 21 levels of stimulation + sound & vibration
- Good warranty
- Fits many sizes of dogs
- Good range
- Good battery life
- Quite expensive
- Charging cable are not spectacular
Educator K9 Handler Remote Dog Training Collar
- One dog system with 1 mile range
- Medium/Large receiver (2.7"X1.7"X1.2", 4 oz) on a 33-inch bungee collar for dogs 20 pounds and larger
- Ergonomic "stopwatch" Design transmitter allows you to watch your dog at all times
- Delivers a tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense, making it an effective addition to the stimulation
- User-selectable stimulation levels from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus selectable from 1 to 60
This is by far the most expensive dog training collar on our list so far today. It is a heavy-duty collar with some really amazing features.
What is also impressive is that this collar features 100 levels of electric stimulation, plus another 60 levels of so called “boost.” This feature adds a tapping feeling to the mix to help get your dog’s attention.
The controller is pretty cool, as it features an ergonomic design and looks like a stopwatch. It’s very easy to control. It is waterproof and can even float on water, something which most other training collars cannot do.
- Superior durability
- Great range
- Ideal for large problem dogs
- Many levels of stimulation + boost
- Waterproof + floats
- Comfortable for the dog
- Very expensive
- Not for small dogs
SportDOG Brand SportTrainer
- E-collar that features 500 yard range and can be used to train 2 dogs with the same handheld remote with purchase of additional Add-A-Dog Collars (SDR-AF); Collar Receiver fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5" - 22" with the same handheld remote with purchase of additional Add-A-Dog Collars (SDR-A); Collar Receiver fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5" - 22"
- Handheld Transmitter features an easy-to-read OLED screen where you can view the selected dog, static stimulation level, and mode, as well as battery status
- Both the Handheld Transmitter and Collar Receiver feature our DryTek technology, making them waterproof and submersible to 25 feet
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries charge in 2 hours and last 50-70 hours per charge; The Handheld Transmitter and Collar Receiver both feature a low battery indicator
This is yet another high-end dog training collar, which comes with a bright orange collar so your dog will always be easy to spot.
The SportDOG Brand SportTrainer features an effective range of 500 yards, plus, with a simple 2 hour charge, both the collar and the controller can last for up to 70 hours.
What’s pretty cool is that a single controller can be used to control 2 collars at once. Moreover, the collars and the controllers both feature DryTek technology which means that they are waterproof even when submerged down to 25 feet.
Keep in mind that the SportDOG Brand SportTrainer is designed to fit dogs 8 pounds and up with neck sizes between 5 and 22 inches. This collar features multiple levels of stimulation, plus you can also use tones and vibrations as well.
- One controller can control 2 collars
- Waterproof to 25 feet
- Fits most dogs
- Stimulation + vibration + sound
- Good range
- Impressive battery life
- Not overly resistant to impacts
Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar
- 🐾 FANTASTIC NEW UPGRADE SINCE MAY= 4.7* + EXTRA LONG & REMOVE THE SHOCK PRONGS + NO STANDBY MODE ALWAYS READY + ANTI BARK & LIGHT NIGHT MODE! Is your dog misbehaving and you want a well behaved pet with minimal fuss? The Pet Resolve system is the perfect solution to train upto 3 dogs for a range of desirable behaviors. Don't let your dog get side-tracked by other animals or misbehave in public. Teach your canine companion how to act properly with arguably the top training collar on the market!
- 🐾 SUPER LONG RANGE AND MEMORY; forget other dog training collars which use cheap plastic that breaks when you drop it and are designed for small spaces and yards, our e collar dog training system is of the highest quality and has a super long 3/4 Mile range (1312 yards suitable for hunting dogs) for easy outdoor training covering the widest areas! You certainly get what you pay for with training collars and unfortunately most cheap collars won't last long!
- 🐾 VARIABLE SHOCK & VIBRATION LEVELS, ANTI BARK & LIGHT for NIGHT MODE; train up to 3 dogs at once (additional collars required) with up to 10 levels of continuous or momentary shock (hold down button to shock for 1 up to 8 seconds, ideal for emergencies!) vibrations, or beeps, for safe, efficient training, allowing you to teach your dog a range of commands. Sometimes it only takes one click of a button to completely change the behavior of your dog and the vibration button does the job for most!
- 🐾 WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION; does your dog love to run outside or swim? Unlike cheap collars, our training system is completely waterproof (remote splash proof) and can be fully submerged without damage! Most other collars fail in the rain, we provide shock collars dogs can actually swim in all year round! It's worth noting that this collar doesn't go in to standby mode like most, meaning that it's ready to use when you actually need it!
- 🐾 ULTRA LONG LASTING BATTERY & WARRANTY for LARGE, MEDIUM AND SMALL DOGS OVER 15LBS; our training collar is powered by a super high capacity rechargeable Li-ion battery, fully charged in 2 hours (Charge above 32 fahrenheit in the house) , for long lasting training without having to constantly change batteries! You also get a warranty included no questions asked and World Class Customer Service!
This is one of the more affordable training collars on our list today, but just because it is reasonably priced does not mean that it can’t get the job done.
The Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar features 10 levels of intermittent or constant shocks, and you can also choose to use the sound and/or vibration modes as well.
The ¾-mile range of this collar is quite impressive, not to mention that the batteries can last for nearly 70 hours on a quick 2-hour charge.
Although it’s not the most expensive collar around, it is still fairly durable, plus waterproof too, so there is no need to worry about getting it wet. What’s also cool is that this single remote can control up to 3 collars at once.
- Reasonably priced
- Fairly durable
- Great range
- Great battery life
- 1 controller for 3 collars
- Impact resistance is a bit limited
There you have the 5 best training collars for stubborn dogs. Each one is a little different, although they all share some similarities.