Tricks for Treats: Training your Dog with Food
Congrats! You are the newest pet parent in town to an adorable pup. The fun is over, and now you need to begin obedience training. No one wants to raise an ill-mannered dog. Dog parents are increasingly turning to positive reinforcement techniques to teach their pooches new behaviors.
Simply put, positive reinforcement means rewarding your dog immediately after she obeys a command. The reward encourages your dog to repeat the behavior in the future, making this technique effective in changing or shaping your pooch’s behavior. One of the most effective ways to train your dog to be socialized and well -mannered is by using high-value treats. Treats are essential for successful reward-based dog training. Rewarding your puppy or adult dog with treats for good behavior will make them follow your commands faster as they will be looking forward to the goodies.
Successful positive reinforcement is heavily reliant on pinpointing what excites or motivates your puppy most. It’s true that dogs are different but more often than not, food is the primary motivating force. Whether you are a first-time puppy owner or a seasoned owner looking to refine your old dog’s manners, there are plenty of options for treats out there, but this article will focus on training your dog with food. Timing and consistency are key, or your dog may fail to associate a reward with a command.
Why Should I Use Treats for Dog Training? Which Is the Best Treat for Dog Training?
While some dog owners resent the idea of using treats during obedience training, others have no problem using this method to foster a healthy relationship with their dogs. In case you didn’t know, dogs are not naturally programmed to instantly and accurately respond to commands from their owners. You have to go the extra mile to train them to follow commands. It’s simple: if how a dog reacts to your cues and commands leads to rewards, she’s more likely to repeat the act. But if you don’t reward them in any way, she’s less likely to repeat. Using treats to train your dog is a legitimate way of teaching her to be well-behaved, as long as you control the goodie box. Regardless of your dog’s age, they are never too young or too old to learn a new trick. You should, however, avoid giving them treats anytime you feel like. Instead, make them work for their rewards.
While a simple pat or approval is rewarding enough for some dogs, others need more than playtime to be motivated to follow commands. The trick is knowing how to use treats properly. Instead of using dog treats like bribery, use them as training tools to get the behavior you want from your furry companion. When you reward your pooch with treats for commands such as lay down, sit, take your medicine, come, or leave it, he will tend to have more fun and learn faster.
Treats don’t have to be expensive. Just as your paychecks, treats need to be light. They should, however, be thoughtful enough to make your dog excited when it’s time for training. Most dog owners use food as their preferred treat. I haven’t come across any dog that refuses food as a treat. When you are feeding your furry companion, you should keep treats in mind. Overfeeding can lead to problems such as obesity. To avoid this, it is your responsibility to adjust your pup’s regular feedings to give space for treats. Remember it’s perfectly okay to mix play and praise in addition to food.
Picking The Right Food for Treats
Most dog owners ignore this vital consideration and use whatever dog food that comes to mind. Choosing the right kind of treat for training can be daunting as every pup has their own individual preference. Overly salted, saucy, high-calorie/fat and spicy delicacies can give your puppy stomach upsets. This should not be the case. Your dog’s health should come first when shopping for a tasty incentive. While you need to find something that is different from a regular diet, it should be a healthy option. Your treats should also be small and easily swallowed. Provided your preferred food is sufficiently appealing to your dog, she can be prompted to follow commands.
It’s now easier than ever to find snacks that are meant explicitly for dogs from online stores such as Amazon. Before you settle on one snack, scrutinize the ingredients to find the ones not suitable for your dog. Some dogs are either allergic to certain ingredients or have sensitive stomachs. As a general rule of the thumb, try to avoid snacks with artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. Find a few favorites for your pooch and alternate the snacks regularly. This way, it will be easier to keep your dog’s interest longer.
Steps to Training Your Dog with Food
After picking one or two favorite treats that excite your pup, it’s now time to have a look at the actual training. The steps below should point you in the right direction. Read on to discover how to properly use food as treats with the lure and reward method.
- Approach your dog with a treat hidden in your bag or pockets.
- Give your dog a command and hold the food a bit above her head. Avoid repeating commands if your pup doesn’t respond immediately.This will only show the pup that repetitions are okay before she obeys a command.
- Ensure that the treat is within your dog’s view. You can lower the food to her nose in your closed hand. She will know it’s there even if she can’t eat it at that time.
- Pull the treat from above their head toward the ground while giving her a command.
- If she obeys your command, congratulate her (“good girl” or “yes” in a happy tone can work) and give her the treat. Your dog will learn to associate the praise with the pleasure of atreat. You can alternatively give her an affectionate pat instead of verbal praise.
- Repeat the above steps a few times in a day.
Self-control does not come naturally to puppies – they need to be taught. Food treats are arguably the best dog training tool in an obedience trainer’s arsenal. As your pooch gets used to the idea, gradually fade out the first lure and alternate the rewards to avoid bribing. Be careful not to over-reward as this will make the foods lose their magical appeal. Once your pup starts responding correctly, you can begin phasing out food.
- Nudges is the No. 1 natural dog treat!*
- USA Beef is the #1 ingredient
- All natural ingredients
- No artificial flavors. No artificial preservatives. No animal by-products.
- Made in the USA
- One (1) 40 Ounce Canister of Purina ALPO T-Bonz Filet Mignon Flavor Steak-Shaped Dog Treats
- Steak-Shaped Dog Treats
- Great Filet Mignon Flavor For Your Dog To Savor
- Made With Real Beef
- Great For Small Dogs Cooked With Pride In The USA.
- Contains one (1) 16 oz. bag of Nutro Crunchy Natural Dog Treats with Real Mixed Berries
- Nutro Crunchy Dog Treats are rich in nutrients and full of flavor, making them healthy treats your small breed or large breed dog will enjoy
- High-quality protein is the foundation of NUTRO Dog Treats-and they’re made with real, high-quality ingredients you can see and smell
- At only 5 calories per treat, NUTRO Crunchy Treats are great natural training treats your dog will sit and stay for
- NUTRO Crunchy Treats contain: NO chicken by-product meal, NO artificial flavors or colors, NO artificial preservatives, NO corn, wheat, or soy protein
- One (1) 16.0 oz Bag - Zuke's Mini Naturals Training Dog Treats Chicken Recipe
- Wholesome, tender mini bites for all your adventures in training
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Less than 3 calories per treat for guilt free rewarding
- Healthy dog treats made with natural ingredients like real chicken and whole food berries
- Contains (1) 6 Count Bag of Soup Bones Dog Treats
- Savory, long-lasting chews with a tender, meaty center
- No meat by-products or artificial flavors
- Perfect for small, medium or large dogs
- Safely USA cooked with the world's best ingredients
- 1. SUPERIOR QUALITY INGRIDIENT: All natural dog chew treat made from a single ingredient - 100% pure turkey tendon with NO additives, NO chemicals, NO preservatives, NO antibiotics, NO artificial flavors or coloring, NO steroids, NO growth hormones, and NO other harmful ingredients. A healthy natural alternative to rawhide products.
- 2. HIGH PALATABILITY: Delicious single ingredient, high-protein, low-fat gourmet dog chews treats hand-made from American-sourced turkeys, slow roasted for maximum flavor and proven to please the most finicky dog
- 3. LONG-LASTING CHEWS & EASY TO DIGEST: Multiple strands of turkey tendons hand-braided to form one chew, making the treat last longer. Give yourself a break by keeping your pet busy for a while. The chew breaks off in small pieces, so is safer and easier to digest.
- 4. CLEANSE TEETH: Turkey tendon long-lasting treat encourages chewing, naturally reducing plaque and tarter build up to improve dog dental hygiene. It is a tasty tendon treat that strengthens gums and improves overall dog dental health
- 5. HYPOALLERGENIC – Natural grain-free dog chew treat made from 100% pure turkey tendon is a great, even for dogs with sensitive tummies. The product is ideal for small to medium size dogs.
- Nudges is the No. 1 natural dog treat!
- USA Chicken is the #1 ingredient
- All natural. No artificial flavors. No artificial preservatives. No animal by-products
- Made in the USA
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate to help support bone and joint health
- Contains (1) 12 Ounce Bag of Dog Treats
- Tasty real meat treats for dogs
- Soft treats are easy to break into smaller pieces
- Grain-free recipe with no artificial flavors or meat by-products
- Safely cooked in the USA with no ingredients from China
- Contains one (1) 36 Ounce 130-count pack of Greenies original teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats; Natural Dog Treats Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients
- The unique texture of Greenies Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and freshen bad dog breath
- Greenies Treats for Dogs are veterinarian recommended and VOHC accepted (Veterinary Oral Health Council)
- Treat your small dog fantastically with the great taste of Greenies Original Dental Treats
- Greenies Dog Treats are made with natural, easy-to-digest ingredients and are nutritionally complete
GRAIN FREE - Pet 'n Shape natural Chicken Hide Twists are made from 100% natural chicken breast wrapped delicately around a savory rawhide chew
INGREDIENTS - Mouth-watering treat made from 100% natural chicken breast fillets wrapped around a chewy rawhide chew, all Pet ‘n Shape treats are U.S. lab tested for safety, and carefully roasted to ensure optimal quality and delicious flavor.
HEALTHY SNACK – Chicken Rawhide Twists are the perfect snack-size; making each treat an ideal reward for pups of all shapes. It’s a bite of goodness for your best bud! For your dog's safety, observation is recommended when giving treats or chews.
CONVENIENT – Ideal for easy storage; the package features a resealable pouch to lock in freshness and prevent odors from escaping. It’s also especially hard for pup to break into when they’re looking for a midnight snack of their own.
100% NATURAL - No pesky allergens here! Pet ‘n Shape Chicken Rawhide Twists contain no artificial colors, additives, or preservatives and are free of any corn and soy.