Best Dog Crate Beds of 2020
Complete Reviews with Comparisons
You don’t want your dog sleeping on the floor of a crate — that’s no fun. Therefore, you need a dog crate bed, but of course, you want something decent without paying an arm and a leg for it. That’s what we’re here for today, to help you find a high-quality one dog crate bed that won’t empty your bank account.
MidWest Bolster Pet Bed
- Pet bed fits 18 inch long dog crates & works great as a stand alone pet bed | Pet bed is ideal for "Tiny" dog breeds weighing up to 6 pounds | *Pet bed is not ideal for excessive chewers
- TURN YOUR DOG'S CRATE INTO THEIR FOREVER HOME! | Use pet bed in conjunction with their dog crate to entice your pet to use their crate
- Pet bed features ultra soft fleece top & comfortable padded polyester bolster cushion around the perimeter for dogs to lay their head on
- Ideal pet bed for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers, cat carriers & dog houses | This specific size fits a MidWest 18 inch iCrate dog crate
- EASY MAINTENANCE PET BED | 100 percent machine washable & dryer friendly w/ a 1 Year MIDWEST QUALITY GUARENTEE Manufacturer's Warranty
This is a very affordable dog bed which can be used for a crate or just for around the home as well. Not only is it priced reasonably, but it’s also very soft and easy to maintain.
So you can find the right size for your dog and dog crate, the MidWest Bolster Pet Bed comes in multiple sizes ranging from 18 to 54 inches, which means that you should be able to find a size that is ideal for your dog no matter the breed.
One of the things that you may like about this dog bed is that it is very easy to maintain. The reason for this is because it is totally 100% machine washable, plus it is dryer-friendly as well. It’s not like other dog beds that either can’t be machine washed or only have a washable cover.
Speaking of convenience, the MidWest Bolster Pet Bed is foldable, making it ideal for storage in tight spaces and for transportation.
What your dog will appreciate about the MidWest Bolster Pet Bed is that it features a comfortable base pad combined with a really soft fleece top.
It will provide your pet with a soft sleeping surface, and it can help keep them warm. For some added comfort, the perimeter of this dog bed features a bolstered polyester cushion that serves as a good pillow and support mechanism.
What’s really nice about the MidWest Bolster Pet Bed is that it’s a simple, convenient, and affordable dog bed. It doesn’t cost much, yet it can keep your dog feeling comfortable and safe while in it. There’s also the fact that it’s easy to wash, to move around, and to store in a small space. Let’s not forget that it comes with a 1-year warranty!
Something that is not too great about the MidWest Bolster Pet Bed is that it just is not all that durable; with the low price, you seem to sacrifice a bit of durability. Moreover, this is a dog bed that is not designed for heavy chewers.
- Great price
- Very soft
- 100% machine washable and dryer friendly
- Raised cushion on the edges
- Folds for portability
- Could be more durable
- Not ideal for chewers
MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed
- Plush mocha Ombré Swirl deluxe dog bed | Pet bed fits 48L" dog crates & works great as a "stand-alone" bed
- Dog bed ideal for XL dog breeds between 91 - 110 pounds | Pet bed measures approximately 46L x 29W x 3H - Inches
- Ultra-soft synthetic fur & overstuffed dog bed | "Non-skid" grip on the bottom of the pet bed works great on hardwood or tile floors
- Dog bed looks great in the home | Ombré Swirl pattern & neutral mocha color is sure to complement your home décor
- Easy maintenance dog bed| Agitatorless washer & dryer friendly pet bed includes 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
This dog bed comes from the same brand name as the one which we just reviewed. It is also quite affordable, although not quite as cheap as the Bolster Pet Bed previously reviewed. It has a bit of a different design, although both of these dog beds come with many of the same great features.
The MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed is primarily designed for large and heavy dogs. The largest option here, the 48-inch long bed, features a total thickness of 4 inches, which means that it is ideal for heavy dogs that require a lot of support and cushioning.
This large option is ideal for dogs up to 110 pounds. However, that being said, this dog bed also comes in different sizes, so realistically you should be able to find the right one no matter what breed of dog you have.
As the name implies, this is a really soft and plush dog bed that should be able to provide your dog with a lot of support, almost like sleeping on a cloud. Thanks to the polyester exterior, unlike with fleece beds, the outer material won’t pill or bunch up.
What you may also appreciate is that the MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed is designed specifically for crates, although it can also be used as a freestanding dog bed.
Something that stands out with the MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed is how it comes with a textured nonslip bottom to ensure that it does not move around, whether on the ground or in a crate.
To make it more convenient for you, just like the other dog bed from the MidWest brand name, this one is also 100% machine washable and dryer-friendly. When it gets dirty and smelly, simply pop the whole thing in the washer.
Moreover, unless you have a dog that really loves to chew on its bedding, the MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed should be able to provide you with years of use. Just in case something does go wrong with it, it’s covered under a 1-year warranty.
The good part about the MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed is that it’s a simple and affordable dog bed, with this particular option being ideal for big dogs that need lots of support. It can easily be washed, it’s fairly durable, and it won’t slip around on the ground.
Something we don’t like about the MidWest Homes for Pets Plush Pet Bed is that it won’t stand up to heavy chewing very well. Something else that could be improved upon is the edge of the bed. Dogs like raised edges for extra comfort and a secure feeling, which this bed does not have.
- Good price
- Many sizes
- Ideal for heavy dogs
- Fairly durable
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- Nonslip bottom
- Could use raised edges
- Won’t stand up to chewing
K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad
- Self-warming material captures your pet's body heat and radiate the warmth back to your pet
- Each corner is slit to allow a perfect fit into any crate
- Soft microfleece top for comfort and non-slip bottom for stability
- Machine washable for easy care
- If you have questions, please contact us at 1-877-738-5188
Unlike the previous two options, this one is solely a crate bed or crate pad, and really cannot be used as a freestanding dog bed. That said, the K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad is very affordable, soft, and easy to maintain.
The K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad has a special feature that makes it ideal for dog crates, which is that the corners have diagonal slits cut into them. This makes it really easy for this dog bed to fit in crates, especially ones that may be a bit smaller than this pad.
Keep in mind that this pad is 14 x 22 inches, and it is classified as extra small, and it does not come in any other sizes. Therefore, this is one of the few options on our list today which is only ideal for small dogs and small crates.
That being said, if you put this pad in a crate that is slightly smaller than 14 x 22 inches, thanks to the slits in the corners, it will still fit nicely, and even create some soft edges at the bottom of the walls, something that your dog should enjoy.
The K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad, as the name implies, is self-warming. This means that it easily absorbs and retains the body heat of your dog, which helps keep it warm in cold conditions. It’s perfect for flights where the cabin or cargo hold might be a bit chilly.
The K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad is not the thickest or softest bed around, but it is comfortable enough for a few hours of use. Remember, it’s designed for transportation, not as a full time dog bed, which is also why this pad is fairly lightweight.
Dogs can get dirty and smelly, and when traveling long distances, they may also get sick. Luckily, this dog crate bed is machine washable, something that helps make maintenance a bit easier.
There are a few things which we really like about the K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad, with the self-warming feature being near the top of the list. However, more than that, this pad is one of the most affordable options in our reviews today, not to mention that it’s small, lightweight, and easy to wash, all things which make it a nice portable dog crate bed.
What we don’t really like about the K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad is that it could be a bit thicker and softer. Next, while the self-warming feature is great for small dogs with short fur in cold conditions, it will be too hot for dogs with long fur. Moreover, the fact that it only comes in a small size is not great.
- Great price
- Ideal for small dogs
- Machine washable
- Slits in corners for an easy fit
- May be too hot for some dogs
- Only comes in a small size
Brindle Soft Dog Bed
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 30" X 19" Dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Soft micro suede Cover can be removed and laundered - machine wash cold To hot with bedding on gentle cycle; Tumble dry low; pad itself is not washable
- Bed measures 28 inches by 18 inches and is suggested for small dog breeds, such as a Dachshund or Shih Tzu; 3-year warranty
Here we have what is so far the most expensive dog crate bed on the list today, although it can be used for more than just crating, and it also features a fairly high level of quality as well. This soft foam dog bed is ideal for dogs of all sizes and ages, especially those which need some extra support.
The Brindle Soft Dog Bed comes in different sizes ranging from 17 x 11 inches up to 52 x 34 inches, so you should be able to find the right size for your breed of dog and its crate. Speaking of size, this dog bed is also made to be fairly thick, as it comes in at 3 inches, and it’s all made out of 3 layers of memory foam; this dog bed is thick, comfortable, soft, and supportive enough for even the heaviest dogs. Moreover, due to this memory foam design, it’s also ideal for supporting older dogs and pets that have joint issues.
Another benefit of the memory foam design is that it is extremely breathable and allows for great airflow, thus keeping your dog cool on a hot day. It is also worth mentioning that the Brindle Soft Dog Bed is fairly durable, although like with most other dog beds, it won’t stand up very well to heavy chewers.
Something else that stands out is how the Brindle Soft Dog Bed comes with a machine washable cover that is dryer-friendly. It’s all about easy maintenance, and the cover is nice and soft, so your dog should enjoy that.
What is quite impressive about the Brindle Soft Dog Bed, is not only that it is durable, but also that it comes with a 3-year warranty, so in case something goes wrong with it, at least you are covered. Other than that, it’s just a really nice, soft, and supportive bed that is ideal for dogs of all sizes.
What’s not great about the Brindle Soft Dog Bed is actually the same thing that makes it so great — it’s thickness. It’s not super heavy, but it does take up a good deal of space. Moreover, the memory foam, while it is of a fairly high quality, may start to lose its shape over time.
- Good value for the money
- Fairly durable
- Very soft, comfy, and supportive
- Comes in many sizes
- Breathable and cooling
- Great warranty
- Might be better as a normal bed than a crate bed
- Memory foam may lose its shape over time
JoicyCo Dog Bed
- Premium Furry Fleece & Durable Material: Our Dog Bed Mat made of Super Soft Fleece Plush,the Surface Feels Gentle as touching Baby Skin and the Thicken Cotton Inside Makes it Durable for Long Time Use.Good for Small or Large Dogs,Especially for Older or Disabled Pets.Support Joints and Soothes Pressure Points for Deeper, More Restorative Sleeping
- Dog Beds for Large Dogs Clearance: Our Fabric Fleece Mats 100% Allow both Machine and Hand Wash in Cold Water, Gentle Cycle, (No Bleach) and Tumble Dry. the Crate Mat Keep in Original Shape Even after Many Cycles of Washing. The and Mat are Low Maintenance and Long Lasting
- Anti-Slip Dog Crate Pad: Non-Skid Bottom Design Will Keep the Crate Pad in Position Firmly ,Prevents Moving and Shifting,Works Great on Hardwood Floors,Standard Crate or a Stand alone Pet Bed on Floor or Ground
- 42 inch Dog Mat: Large Size,Shed (Pill) Restraints,Stylish in-Seam,Give Your Pet A Greater Sense of Security,Protect Funiture & Beds,Cool in Summer and Keep Warm Especially in Winter or Cold Wet Weather
- Dog Beds Size Details: 35 (35 inch x 23 inch) 42 (42 inch x 30.6 inch) 47 (47 inch x 33 inch).
Here we have another nice dog crate bed, with this one being specifically designed for crates. It comes at a reasonable price and has quite a few good features that you might appreciate.
The JoicyCo Dog Bed comes in 3 different sizes ranging from 35 to 47 inches, which means that it is designed for medium and large dogs, but it does not come in any smaller sizes. Due to the fact that it is made for larger dogs, it does have some thickness to it, just to provide enough support to be comfortable for a trip.
This dog bed is designed to provide your dog with plenty of support, especially if they are an older dog that may have joint issues. It also has a really soft fleece exterior. That said, we would use it as a crate bed, but maybe not as a full-time dog bed; it doesn’t have raised walls, which should be present for a dog bed being used as such.
What is nice about the JoicyCo Dog Bed is that it is 100% machine washable and dryer-friendly too, so keeping it clean and smelling fresh should not be a problem.
Next, the JoicyCo Dog Bed features a nonslip bottom to help prevent it from slipping and sliding around in the crate or on the ground. It’s ideal to have on all sorts of surfaces. The other thing that stands out is that this dog crate bed is quite durable.
The best part about the JoicyCo Dog Bed is that it is fairly thick, yet also lightweight, plus soft, plush, and supportive. It’s ideal for larger and older dogs that need a good deal of support, and it’s ideal for dog owners thanks to its nonslip and easy-to-wash design.
For one, we would like to see raised walls on this dog crate bed, at least if it is to double as an everyday dog bed. Also, the soft fleece may not be ideal for furry dogs, as it might make them too hot, not to mention that the JoicyCo Dog Bed does not come in sizes ideal for smaller dogs.
- Soft and plush
- Lots of support
- Easy to wash
- Nonslip bottom
- Quite durable
- Doesn’t come in smaller sizes
- May make dogs hot
Before you go out and purchase just any dog crate bed, let’s take a look at the main purchasing factors you should consider.
Size of Your Crate/Dog
Of course, you need to get the right size dog bed for your dog, and for the crate too. The bed you get should have roughly the same length and width of the crate it is meant to be in. If you can find one that is just a fraction of an inch shorter and narrower than the crate, you are in luck.
If the bed is too large for the crate, it won’t fit well, and if it’s too small, it will move around inside of the crate. Of course, you need to consider the size of your dog as well, especially when it comes to the thickness of the bed. Small dogs will be fine on thinner beds, whereas large dogs require thick padding.
You will want something that is fairly durable. After all, whether the crate is for travel or to keep your dog under control when you aren’t home, that bed is going to see a lot of use.
One made of quality materials with good stitching is definitely recommended. Now, none of the options we looked at here today are chew proof or resistant, but if you can find one that is, then you’re in luck.
Comfort is always a big deal when it comes to keeping your dog in a crate. As mentioned above, you want to ensure that you get a type of bed that is supportive enough for your dog.
Small dogs will be fine on an inch or two of padding, whereas larger dogs will need between 3 to 5 inches. Having a soft fleece cover (or a surface made out of some other soft material) is always good.
Related to comfort, you will want to pay attention to the materials which the dog bed in question is made of.
One of the best things to go for is memory foam, especially for dogs that need lots of support and need to stay cool. Memory foam is super supportive and breathable.
On the other hand, if you need something to keep a small dog warm and cozy, some type of fleece or warming dog bed might be ideal.
You also want to pay attention to the design of the dog bed. Dogs like raised edges to use as pillows and to make them feel safe, although these are not ideal for travel, as they add more weight. Moreover, a dog bed that is lightweight and can fold down into a compact package, would also be ideal for crate use.
Why buy a crate bed?
There are several reasons to buy a crate bed, but of course, the most important one is the comfort of your dog. Do you want your dog sleeping on a hard floor or a soft bed that will keep it comfy, warm, and well supported?
Are crate beds washable?
Most crate beds are washable in one way or another. Crate beds usually are 100% machine washable and even dryer friendly too. Others come with removable covers that can be washed and dried. A dog bed that cannot be washed in any way is probably one to stay away from.
Are crate beds chew proof?
Although there are some chew-proof dog crate beds out there, most that are reasonably affordable are not chew proof.
As long as you make sure that you find the right size of bed for your dog and the crate, you pay attention to how much support your dog needs, and you go for an easy maintenance dog crate bed, you shouldn’t have any problems finding the best dog crate bed for you and your dog.