Best Harnesses for German Shepherds
For many pet owners, the preferred way of walking their German shepherd is using a harness. They help to discipline and train your dog as you walk while helping to prevent them from pulling their leash. Some prefer harnesses as they put less stress on your dog’s neck.
As a larger breed, your German Shepherd is going to require a harness specifically designed for large dogs. We have done the hard work for you and browsed the market selecting our top five picks of the best harnesses that are suitable for German Shepherds. We have also included a handy buyer’s guide below with all of our top tips for choosing the best product for your pet.
Are you in a hurry? If the answer is yes, we have selected our top pick for you below.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
- 【XL Dog Harness with Lockable Collar】 Adjustable Neck Girth: 21-33 inch, Chest Girth: 24-49 inch. Recommended Breeds: Large size dogs like Anatolian Shepherd, Newfoundland, Labrador, Alaska, German Shepherd, Large Bulldog and more. Please determine your dog’s chest girth by measuring the broadest part of your dog’s chest when choosing size. A durable DOG COLLAR included. Please note that XL strap is more wider and thicker than L, which means more durable.
- 【Reflective Straps & Sturdy Handle】Reflective straps of this easy control harness ensure your dog’s safety while out for a walk even at night; Sturdy Fabric Handle on the back helps you better control and assist your dog. Please do not use the collar to lead your dog if she/he pulls much. The D-ring in the front of harness would be perfect for you to attach by the leash.
- 【Adjustable & Customizable Neck And Chest Girth Fit】The fit of this pet harness can be completely customized for your pet using the slide adjusters at the chest and neck. Please note that there was a locking tab on the clasp. The snap in fasteners have a slide lock to keep securely fastened, double stitching, lots of reinforcement stitching at high stress points, easy to fit & put on & nicely padded for your dog's comfort.
- 【No Pull & Choke-Free】WINSEE dog harness featured with 2 Sturdy Metal D-Rings on front/back range for attaching leash, front clip prevent pulling and back for relaxed walking. The 2 D-rings are reinforced on the extensional part which is not easily ripped off even by heavy pulling. Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent Choking.
- 【Easy to Use】This dog vest harness designed with quick snap buckles& safe lock, make it easy and secure to put on and take off. This no pull dog harness is made with enhanced 1680D oxford fabric with high density to prevent from chewing or tearing up. Breathable mesh lining with soft sponge padding plate of this dog harness providing extra comfort and protection.
Best Harnesses for German Shepherds – Comparison Table
Best Harnesses for German Shepherds – Reviews
Our PickWINSEE Dog Harness No Pull, Pet Harnesses with Dog Collar, Adjustable Reflective Oxford Outdoor Vest, Front/Back Leash Clips for Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large Dogs, Easy Control Handle for Walking
Our rating:Check Price
As larger dogs, German Shepherds require the wear of a harness that is of good quality with a little more give to suit their size. The WINSEE no pull dog harness does not disappoint. Recommended for large breeds, in particular, this harness is recommended for dogs weighing between 80-140 lbs with a neck girth measuring 21-33 inches and a chest girth measuring 24-49 inches. There are different size options available so you can choose the best size to cater to your dog. However, for a German Shepherd, you will likely need a large or extra-large depending on their size.
Designed with reflective straps, this harness ensures that your dog is safe at all times. If you walk your dog at night in reduced visibility your dog is going to remain visible to vehicles and passersby.
When it comes to the design of this harness you will find a fabric handle situated on the back section which allows you to give your dog some assistance if needed and the metal D ring provides an easy place to attach the lead. Of course, it is important to select a harness with adjustable features as it simply isn’t the case that one size is going to fit all. The slides situated at the side and neck section allow you to customize the fit of the harness to suit your German Shepherd before securing the buckles in place.
One of the main benefits of a harness is that they help to stop your dog from pulling. This harness is designed to enable you to enjoy a relaxing walk with your dog without them pulling.
- Designed with quick snap buckles, this harness is easy to put on your pet and secure in place.
- With different color options available you can choose the harness that you and your german shepherd are going to love.
- There are three different size options available and the harness is also adjustable which allows you to cater the fit to suit your dog.
- Retailing at an affordable price, this is an ideal choice for dog owners on a budget.
- As well as the harness, you will also receive a durable dog collar with your purchase.
- Unfortunately, the front of the harness isn’t very adjustable making it a little difficult to achieve the best fit.
Our rating:Check Price
With raving reviews, the Rabbitgoo no pull adjustable dog harness is a great pick for your german shepherd. The neck girth measures 16.1″ to 23.2″ and the chest girth measures 20.5″ to 36″ (these measurements apply to the large-sized harness). Usefully, it is fully adjustable too. Both the neck and chest straps can be altered to fit your dog, ensuring that there is enough room for them to move comfortably without the risk of slipping out or getting hurt.
As a ”no pull, no choke” harness it has been specifically designed with carefully placed clips that are intended to stop your dog from pulling while they are being walked. Ideal if you are attempting to train your German Shepherd. The two metal leash rings allow you to attach the leash to the back in a way that prevents them from pulling and running ahead.
Putting this harness on your dog is a relatively hassle-free process. It can simply be slid over your pet’s head before being buckled and secured into place. Usefully it is lightweight too which is likely to be more comfortable for your German Shepherd.
Designed with soft cushioning, the harness doesn’t have any harsh or direct contact with your pet’s skin which is likely to make it much more comfortable for them to wear. The mesh allows for the constant circulation of air so that your dog can keep cool even when walking in warmer weather.
- The reflective straps ensure that your dog can be seen even when you are walking in low visibility.
- Usefully, this harness is easy to put on and take off your pet.
- Available in a range of colors, you can choose your favorite choice for your pet.
- Durably designed this harness is likely to withstand daily wear without becoming damaged.
- Impressively, this harness helps to stop your dogs from pulling when you walk them.
- The straps of this harness are prone to breaking after a few uses which may be an issue when it comes to walking dogs who are prone to pulling.
Our rating:Check Price
A heavy-duty harness is a must when it comes to selecting the best product for your German Shepherd. As larger dogs many are very strong which can sometimes make them difficult to walk on a leash, however, this needn’t be a concern thanks to the Barkway no pull dog harness.
The largest size option has a chest girth which measures 27 to 32”, however, there is also an extra-large option available to. The non-rip nylon and anti-chafe padding creates a lightweight harness that is going to be comfortable for your pet to wear even over prolonged periods. Conveniently, there are also four different points in which the harness can be adjusted and this allows you to select the perfect fit for your dog.
Usefully, this harness is easy to put on as it simply needs to be slipped onto your pet’s body before being secured into place using the buckles. There are also two different points in which you can attach the leash, one placed at the chest compartment and the other placed towards the back.
Designed with reflective stripes, your dog is going to remain visible even when you walk them in the dark.
- Constructed using breathable and comfortable padding your dog can walk with ease without any restrictions or effective air circulation
- The no-pull design makes this an ideal choice for training purposes or the practice of behavioral control.
- Thanks to the back handle you can assist your dog if needed but this provides you with a little more control as the owner.
- The reflective straps ensure that your dog remains visible even in low lighting.
- Impressively, this harness has been designed with quality and durability in mind.
- The adjustable buckles can be a little difficult to alter during initial use.
Our rating:Check Price
The Eagloo dog harness is available in sizes small to extra large which allows you to select the best option for your German Shepherd. The large option has a chest girth measuring 17-34 inches.
Courtesy of the no-pull design you are provided with greater control when walking your German shepherd. The two zinc alloy rings allow you to secure the lead in two places which is going to make it harder for your dog to pull as you walk them.
The reflective straps ensure that your dog remains visible even when you are walking in minimal lighting. The harness also features a sturdy handle on the back which allows you to assist your dog if needed but also functions as a seat belt loop which is handy for occasions where you may need to take your German Shepherd in the car. The breathable mesh allows for effective air circulation and the soft foam padding takes any pressure off their body allowing them to walk with complete comfort.
Impressively, this harness has been designed with convenience in mind. The buckles enable you to secure the harness on your dog and the adjustable features allow you to customize the harness to the best fit.
- The reflective straps ensure that your pet remains visible even if you are walking them when it is dark.
- There are multiple color options available which allow you to select the perfect pick for your dog.
- Retailing within a relatively affordable price range, this is a great pick for pet owners on a budget.
- The breathable mesh design provides effective air circulation and breathability.
- There are four different size options available which allow you to select the best fit for your companion.
- With some dogs, this harness is prone to rubbing against the skin which is likely to become uncomfortable.
Our rating:Check Price
Impressively, the EXPAWLORER harness has been designed for medium and large dogs in particular. If you opt for the large size option, the chest girth compartment measures 26-36 inches, however, this differs depending on the size that you choose.
Designed with a strong rubber ring on the back of the harness you are provided with greater control and the handle allows you to assist your dog if they require assistance. With a no-pull design, your pet can move freely but they aren’t going to pull.
The effective placement of the reflective straps also ensures that your pet is visible when you are walking them in darker conditions. Usefully, the buckles allow you to adjust the harness to the most secure fit that suits your pet too.
- This harness has been designed for large dogs in particular which ensures that it is going to conform to a secure fit.
- With three different color options available you can choose your preferred choice for your dog.
- The handle gives you greater control of your dog and allows you to assist them easily if needed.
- The breathable mesh allows for a more effective air-ventilated environment for your dog.
- Retailing at a relatively affordable price, this is a great choice for pet owners who do not wish to spend a lot on their dog harness.
- Unfortunately on occasions, this harness has failed to help owners of dogs who are prone to pulling.
Best Harnesses for German Shepherds – Buyers Guide
Before investing in your dog harness, there are multiple factors that we would recommend you considering. Following these criteria will ensure that you select the best quality comfortable harness for your German shepherd that is going to see them through many enjoyable walks.
As German Shepherds are known to be larger dogs you will likely need to focus your search on dog harnesses that are available in large or extra-large sizes, however, if your German shepherd is more medium-sized, there are sizes available that cater to this. Many dog harnesses are specifically intended for wear by larger breeds of dogs in particular like German Shepherds.
The Adjustable Features
Of course, several features allow you to adjust the harness to cater to the size of your dog. This tends to be sliders that can be made tighter or looser depending on the fit that your German Shepherd requires.
Of course, a common issue that many dog owners experience when walking their dogs is pulling and this can make it difficult to take them on a walk that is enjoyable for you and your pet. Many harnesses are designed for dogs that pull with the placement of two metal rings incorporated into the design. One is typically placed around the chest area and the other is placed onto the back area which makes it more difficult for your dog to pull when the lead is attached. However, it is beneficial to pay attention to the reviews of the harness that you choose as some do a better job at preventing your dog from pulling than others and if this is a particularly problematic area for your German Shepherd you want a harness that is going to do the job well.
Many pet owners opt for a harness as they are placed on your dog’s back rather than around their necks like a collar would be. If your dog suffers from respiratory issues you may find this a preferred choice as it places less strain and pressure onto their necks.
Ideally, you want your harness to be as comfortable as possible for your pet. There should be padding placed onto the areas of the harness that are likely to be making direct contact with your pet’s skin as this is going to reduce any discomfort or irritations. If your dog is going to be wearing the harness for a longer period, comfort is crucial for them to experience an enjoyable walk too.
It is likely that you are investing in a harness that is going to be worn regularly. For younger German Shepherds in particular they are likely to experience any excitable stage which sees them chewing anything and everything in sight- harness included. For this reason, it is recommended that you purchase a harness that has a tough and robust design. This is necessary for older and stronger German Shepherds too as it isn’t going to break despite the tugs and pulls. This includes strong materials that aren’t going to fray or get easily torn after a few uses.
The price is likely to be an influential factor for many before making their purchase. Some are more expensive whilst others are a more suitable choice for pet owners who are on a budget. If you have a particular budget in mind do not be put off by expensive price tags as we have included a variety in our guide above to highlight the variety that is available to you.
The Pattern and Color
While this may not be an influential factor for many pet owners, for others it may influence the style of harness that they choose for their dog. Some harnesses are available in a range of different colors and designs so you can choose your preferred option for your German Shepherd.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use a harness on my German Shepherd?
Harnesses are a great option if you have a dog that suffers from throat or respiratory issues which makes wearing a traditional collar an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. However, a harness without a no-pull design can give your dog more power to pull which may leave you with less control.
Are harnesses good for German Shepherds?
Harnesses can be a great choice for German Shepherds particularly those which have cushioning in the places that would make direct contact with your dog’s joints as this ensures that the material isn’t going to rub directly against their skin.